Most common mistake by an amateur?

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trying to hit it too hard

Too ambitious

have you been watching me play,or what ??? :)

after gradually getting rid of these bad habits I'd agree with Bobmac, and also add this importance of a few lessons. It took me over 2 years but now I have eventually had some I've seen positive and fairly quick results

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buying a grands worth of clubs without testing them out first. Just because thingy on the tour has some then they will make me play better too, or maybe not........

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is that really the biggest mistake. Surely a lot of this not reaching the green is as a result of hitting distance robbing huge slices into the rough as a result of OTT swings. How many golfers hit the ball left to right without meaning too. If Bob could market a two sponge practice aid (a plastic carrying bag, two sponges and a photocopied instruction sheet - £15.99) then so many golfers would hit further by hitting better

Fair point, but I think some of the big things are to do with attitude, approach, course management. These things you can easily change for the better. Swing changes, correct equipment all take lots of time/ability/money. The others are all free, and pretty much commonsense.

I take your point though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is that really the biggest mistake. Surely a lot of this not reaching the green is as a result of hitting distance robbing huge slices into the rough as a result of OTT swings. How many golfers hit the ball left to right without meaning too. If Bob could market a two sponge practice aid (a plastic carrying bag, two sponges and a photocopied instruction sheet - £15.99) then so many golfers would hit further by hitting better

Fair point, but I think some of the big things are to do with attitude, approach, course management. These things you can easily change for the better. Swing changes, correct equipment all take lots of time/ability/money. The others are all free, and pretty much commonsense.

I take your point though.

Surprised Bob hasn't jumped on the sales opportunity to market the sponge drill

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking that shiny new £300 driver will lower his handicap......just as he reaches for the £5 sports direct Donnay putter...:lol:.
Or that replacing last years £300 driver another £300 driver will help him find the fairway as it is the club not the player that makes the ball go out of bounds 3 times a round!!!

SPEND THAT £300 THIS YEAR ON GETTING SOME LESSONS FOR GODS SAKE AND STOP BLAMING YOUR DRIVER!!!!!!!!!!;););)