hitting the sweet spot
happy with the feel off the club face
happy with my distances
hitting straight

and the minute im on the golf course it all goes tits up

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Easy you change the way you think on the range you are thinking about just that shot or your swing thought etc, get on the course and you start thinking numbers

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Consequence is the simple answer.

Doesn't matter on a driving range does on a golf course.

No idea how you can fix it as I have the same problem too :(

Matt_B

Medal Winner
Visit site
Don't worry about notching up great scores. They will come naturally in time. Until then, just use the experience to better your own game.

The course will always be harder than the range. On the range you will be hitting several shots at once with the same club. Out on the course you'll be hitting different shots each time with different clubs.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice straight lines at the range, mat edges, bay dividers etc. Perfect lies, level stance, sheltered from any wind etc.

Get on the course as much as possible, nothing beats experience of being in each situation.

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
IMHO when on the range it dosent matter if i hit a duff shot, on the course it does,

its being able to transfer that relaxed feel from the range to the course with the right balance

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm a pro on the practice ground, I mean almost literally to scratch standard or better. On the course i'm happy if I play to my 10 handicap thats just the way it is. For example my chipping in practice is absolutely faultless, great distance control, controlled check/backspin...on the course im lucky if I make a good contact, fats and thins every other attempt. Call it the yips or what you like im just not as relaxed on the course, I this is the main cause.

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess its the no pressure in practice.

I try and add pressure to my practice by setting targets such as must sink 3 puts from 1 feet, 2 feet, 3 feet etc till i get out to about 6/7 feet. If i miss I start back at 1 feet.

It does seem to help my on course putting

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Expectation. You know on the range it doesn't matter as there is another ball waiting there and no damage done if you hit a bad one. You get to the course and try to shoot a low score and hit a few bad ones. Then all you think about is keeping it play, the dangers, mechanics etc and never find any timing or allow yourself to just swing freely.

Now I mention it, all of this sounds somewhat familiar

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
how is it i can practice for hours at the driving range
get my swing in a way im happy with
hitting the sweet spot
happy with my distances
hitting straight

You've either got low standards or I'm the worst golfer this side of Watford. If I achieved this at the range, roll on level par.
I'm about the same on the course as the range.
1 in 4 is perfect.
2 of the 4 are acceptable.
1 in 4 is dodgy.

Surely it can't be that good?
:)

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
hitting the sweet spot
happy with my distances
hitting straight

Thats what I was thinking reading through the posts Dave. I'm pretty average on the practice range and about the same on the course. In fact i'm probs a little better on course as I concentrate a tad more

in_the_trees

Club Champion
Visit site
hitting the sweet spot
happy with my distances
hitting straight

You've either got low standards or I'm the worst golfer this side of Watford. If I achieved this at the range, roll on level par.
1 in 4 is perfect.
2 of the 4 are acceptable.
1 in 4 is dodgy.

Surely it can't be that good?
no please dont get me wrong im far from perfect even on the range but after hitting say 30 balls i do start hitting them well.

dont forget i am still a beginner so i guess my standards will be a tad less than your's

as said i do manage to find the sweet spot & keep it straight

im only 5ft 8 and slim build so dont have the muscle to smash the ball 300+ yards

but im happy hitting my 7 iron 120-130 yards

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im only 5ft 8 and slim build so dont have the muscle to smash the ball 300+ yards

but im happy hitting my 7 iron 120-130 yards

You don't need muscle to hit the ball a long way, it's technique. As your swing improves the distance will come. Just keep it straight in the meantime.
I'm 5'8" too and about 10st dripping wet. I'm not the longest hitter but I wouldn't say I was short either.

Keep at it :)

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would say that spending less time on the driving is the best way to improve your golf,when i practice its on the designated practice areas of my local golf clubs,and now Im hitting the ball alot better,you cant beat hitting a ball from the grass whatever club you use.