Mortgage Fees... highway robbery

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
However the point remains.. a lower % interest rate on a much higher mortgage costs more than a higher interest rate on a lower mortgage

2.79% rate on 240000 mortgage is a lot more a month than 10% rate on a 50,000 mortgage and with wages not rises to cover it mortgages cost more % of wages.
I would have said the last time mortgages might have been around £50k, the interest rates would have been around 15%. I would say mortgages are easier to maintain now than back in the 80’s or 90’s.
What we have now is a society where excessive mobile phone and tv contracts are the norm and where people have to change their car every 3 years just to keep up the affluent image.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have said the last time mortgages might have been around £50k, the interest rates would have been around 15%. I would say mortgages are easier to maintain now than back in the 80’s or 90’s.
What we have now is a society where excessive mobile phone and tv contracts are the norm and where people have to change their car every 3 years just to keep up the affluent image.

The world changed and adapts however people don’t. Majority will always behave like they did in their day which there is nothing wrong with ofc. However they can never understand why the younger generation do what they do.

You can say tv contracts, mobile contracts etc but these weren’t around when mortgage rates were low.. the tech just didn’t excist.

In the same breath I’m not saying this generation has it right in the slightest. Both have good and bad points.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The world changed and adapts however people don’t. Majority will always behave like they did in their day which there is nothing wrong with ofc. However they can never understand why the younger generation do what they do.

You can say tv contracts, mobile contracts etc but these weren’t around when mortgage rates were low.. the tech just didn’t excist.

In the same breath I’m not saying this generation has it right in the slightest. Both have good and bad points.
Phone and tv contracts have been around longer than you think. However what has changed is that back in the 80/90 even ealry 00's you didnt NEED a big mobile phone contract, tv package or whetever. Nowadays people NEED those to survive life. If you havent had something before it comes along you can do without it, it youv'e always had it you cant understand how people did without it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I was helping a (younger) colleague sort out his remortage prep... I asked what he spent a year on car, phone, Sky, netflicks etc etc, he hadnt a clue. He had never done an income/expenditure breakdown in his life.... so he did, and was shocked. Guess what, he had no savings, no pension payments and increasing borrowing. He blamed the governemnt for eroding real incomes...I (silently) blamed his lack of financial savvy, but hey-ho! Lets see what he does with the advice he got!

In my dad's day, you got a wage packet on a Friday, when the cash was gone, it was gone! Very easy to notice. :)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my dad's day, you got a wage packet on a Friday, when the cash was gone, it was gone! Very easy to notice. :)
As did I when I first started working, and only went to monthly in the bank payments around 84. It made financial planning so much easier, and you more careful.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Sitting pretty with a lifetime tracker at 0.23% over base, been paying virtually nothing for past 10 years, so able to put spare dosh in an ISA which has done well. so when interest rates started to rise, paid off a big chunk of the mortgage.

Will be mortgage free soon
Oh yes 👍

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was helping a (younger) colleague sort out his remortage prep... I asked what he spent a year on car, phone, Sky, netflicks etc etc, he hadnt a clue. He had never done an income/expenditure breakdown in his life.... so he did, and was shocked. Guess what, he had no savings, no pension payments and increasing borrowing. He blamed the governemnt for eroding real incomes...I (silently) blamed his lack of financial savvy, but hey-ho! Lets see what he does with the advice he got!

This is exactly it, the other problem is people think they are entitled to these things and working and saving for something seems to be a dying activity.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

you can be sure he will know when he is due for upgrade to a new shiny phone or wheels.. bloody govt making it so easy to switch..

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess I don’t qualify as young anymore but when I started my first job in 2007 I started saving for a house. I did all the monthly finances on a spreadsheet so I knew where all the money went. It still took me 10 years and help from family to afford a house!

I find these days it’s super easy to keep on top of spending as my banking app has features built in. I don’t need the spreadsheet anymore.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly different question... anyone here taken a covid mortgage holiday... I did and managed to confuse the bank completely. the scenario is simple

Assume.. my mortgage is 2k per month. Roughly 1k for interest and 1k for principle

I take a holiday, but i dont want to be hit by a big charge later... hence i decide to pay 1.3k. My initial assumption was that the 1.3 would go directly to principle rather than interest. This way, i am increasing my principle payment by 30% while reducing my monthly outgoing by 700 quid. Spoke to a guy from the bank and wanted to know how it is calculated. For the life of him, he could not explain the calculations. At the end, he said, dont worry, the overpayment is good and let us see what happens when the holiday finishes. :)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly different question... anyone here taken a covid mortgage holiday... I did and managed to confuse the bank completely. the scenario is simple

Assume.. my mortgage is 2k per month. Roughly 1k for interest and 1k for principle

I take a holiday, but i dont want to be hit by a big charge later... hence i decide to pay 1.3k. My initial assumption was that the 1.3 would go directly to principle rather than interest. This way, i am increasing my principle payment by 30% while reducing my monthly outgoing by 700 quid. Spoke to a guy from the bank and wanted to know how it is calculated. For the life of him, he could not explain the calculations. At the end, he said, dont worry, the overpayment is good and let us see what happens when the holiday finishes. :)

out of interest, were you furloughed? I though our industries did pretty well, keeping everyone going.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

I apologise if I have misunderstood what you are saying here, but when the bank grants you a payment holiday it is simply that and not an interest holiday. You will therefore at some point need to pay both the interest and the principle you have not paid during the holiday. I guess you confused the bank because they do not allocate any payments in the way you are asking them to. Simply they take any payments off what you owe them (principle plus interest).

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
out of interest, were you furloughed? I though our industries did pretty well, keeping everyone going.
Not yet... but the mortgage holiday is open to all.

I apologise if I have misunderstood what you are saying here, but when the bank grants you a payment holiday it is simply that and not an interest holiday. You will therefore at some point need to pay both the interest and the principle you have not paid during the holiday. I guess you confused the bank because they do not allocate any payments in the way you are asking them to. Simply they take any payments off what you owe them (principle plus interest).

yes,,, interest calculation still continues. My confusion was

assume 1 owe 100k; every month, i reduce it by 1k on normal payment. so at the end of it i owe 97k. I have also paid 3k of interest.
in new situation after the end of 3 months, i would owe 96.1k rather than 97k... So my new interest would be against 96 rather than 97k.

However, the assumption is wrong, since it appears that they calculate interest and keep it on the side.. so everymonth, they set aside 1k of interest accruals. So when i pay 1.3k, they are basically using 1k against the interest rather than principle. So i was better off payiing the mortgage rather than a holiday

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is exactly it, the other problem is people think they are entitled to these things and working and saving for something seems to be a dying activity.
Unfortunately many of the parents of the current younger generation - such as those of us who had our children in the late 80s to mid 90s - often did not set much of an example in respect of saving. Through the 1990s and well into the 2000s credit was easily available and with ever rising house prices, getting extensions to mortgages was also dead easy. I recall applying for a £17,000 extension to my mortgage and getting the cash in my bank account within 3 days of a quick chat with my lender's mortgage advisor - she just took my word for it being affordable. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Nuts! As a result our children grew up knowing that we could get pretty much what we wanted (within reason) when we wanted it. Fortunately they understand the reality of today. However us of the boomer-age are not blameless.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not yet... but the mortgage holiday is open to all.

While technically yes, the reason they were offered was to help those with a genuine need/requirement. I have friends that have done it, all to bank some cash. The process does not sit well with me when people do not need help and are solely doing it through greed. I had a pay cut of 25% of my basic for 3 months, however I could still afford my mortgage payments, so I did not take a holiday.

But each to their own.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just 50p worth of free advice folks. It seems we have an obsession with people paying their mortgage off or overpaying.

Interest rates are so low, what is the point? Someone with a sensible loan to value (under 70%) has been paying less than 2% for the past decade and it's not likely to change much in the next couple of years at least.

The biggest cost with a mortgage is jumping to a new fixed rate every 2 years. Takes a bit of time, and often £1000 to £1500 fees each time. This becomes disproportionately more expensive as time goes on and your mortgage balance is smaller.

Over a 10 year period (any 10 year period in history) you'd be better putting your over payments into an ISA in a balanced or even adventurous portfolio. As well as making sure you add the fees to the loan rather than pay them out of savings, and even extend your mortgage to make home improvements (rather than using savings).

There is very little chance of the returns on that not beating the interest on your mortgage and putting yourself into a better position.

Lets say 10 years down the line, you've squirrelled away £20,000 (average of £166.67 per month in over payments). Investment growth might have boosted this to £25,000 or £30,000. And your mortgage balance has still reduced by making your regular payments.

Even the poorest decade in recent memory (July 2007 to July 2017) a balanced portoflio returned 63%. And over the past decade 82%. Ok - you're not getting all of that growth as you are putting in regular premiums over time, but the risk is very very small and it makes very little sense to reduce a mortgage debt at such low rates.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess I don’t qualify as young anymore but when I started my first job in 2007 I started saving for a house. I did all the monthly finances on a spreadsheet so I knew where all the money went. It still took me 10 years and help from family to afford a house!

I find these days it’s super easy to keep on top of spending as my banking app has features built in. I don’t need the spreadsheet anymore.

you have had good habits in your first 10 years... the apps are a way to just automate them.. keep it up

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My understanding is that it works like this -

You have mortgage financial year with a start and end date. At the year start date you owe x (any interest chargeable is based upon that figure), at the end year date they add any interest that was due to be paid during the 12 months to x they then take off any payments made during the 12 months from that figure.

When it comes to overpayments the advice used to be make one lump sum payment close to the end of year date and keep the money in a saving account in the mean time.

This may have changed with some banks /mortgage companies now working on a rolling month basis but I know my lender still uses the method I described as it is contained in the contract.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that it works like this -

You have mortgage financial year with a start and end date. At the year start date you owe x (any interest chargeable is based upon that figure), at the end year date they add any interest that was due to be paid during the 12 months to x they then take off any payments made during the 12 months from that figure.

When it comes to overpayments the advice used to be make one lump sum payment close to the end of year date and keep the money in a saving account in the mean time.

This may have changed with some banks /mortgage companies now working on a rolling month basis but I know my lender still uses the method I described as it is contained in the contract.

I think those days are gone... now interest calculated daily by many banks rather than monthly or yearly. So if i put 100 quid on 15th Jan, then it goes off principle straightaway. Worst case goes off at the end of the month. Hence when you look at the mortgage statement, these days - on a 2k morgage, it will show 1K interest and 1k principle in Jan, 999 interest, 1001 principle in Feb and so on. If you make a overpayment in March, then it will change the calculation for April.

BTW, the Yearly rest may still be valid for some banks/societies

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have had good habits in your first 10 years... the apps are a way to just automate them.. keep it up

More that I don’t watch TV, drive rust bucket cars and broke the zip on my wallet years ago, also dont want to disturb the moths that live it anyway.