Moral Q - work sick leave/holiday

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good chance your op will get cancelled at the last moment, plenty do. If that happens, and you have already used your leave up, then are you happy to work over Xmas?

Best advice is to come clean with your employer, if he/she is decent they should recognise your honesty and accept it is exceptional circumstances, and let you take the leave early next year.

U

User62651

Good chance your op will get cancelled at the last moment, plenty do. If that happens, and you have already used your leave up, then are you happy to work over Xmas?

A good point well made sir! Get me away from the outlaws at least!:oops:
I'm keenest to carry hols over to 2019, think that's reasonable and will enquire.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok so I have 5 days annual leave left in 2018, booked in for Christmas week. We cannot carry leave forward into 2019 - if you don't use it you lose it effectively.

Have just got notice of surgery I've been waiting a few months for, on 13th December with surgeon saying I have to take at least 3-6 weeks off work, minimum 3 weeks. Going ahead.

Q- if it were you would you move your 5 days remaining leave forward to before the surgery knowing Christmas week is covered as sick leave?

I'm a bit torn on this, feel like I should get my holidays being able bodied and well, not sitting about recovering as the sick leave is legit BUT another side of me thinks it's manipulating my employer for more time away from work when they are paying sick leave (but partially covered by Govt I suspect?).

Fairly sure legally I can take the holiday (some or all of the 5 days) early but should I. Hmmmmm?:unsure:

Views?

What type of company are you working for? Small or large buisness

And how will your work be covered. Is it people chipping in or is it people being paid overtime to cover your shifts or picking up more shifts because of

U

User62651

What type of company are you working for? Small or large buisness

And how will your work be covered. Is it people chipping in or is it people being paid overtime to cover your shifts or picking up more shifts because of

National company but management very regional. There are enough colleagues to cover me, we all cover eachother for holiday and sick leave ok. No question of any overtime, everyone is salaried. December is a quieter month generally.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guess it comes down to what you think of your employer. If you genuinly like the person and enjoy the job then take LTs advice and come to a mutually beneficial arrangement, if not then take what you are owed/entitled to.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
From the .gov website

"Any statutory holiday entitlement that is not used because of illness can be carried over into the next leave year."

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
National company but management very regional. There are enough colleagues to cover me, we all cover eachother for holiday and sick leave ok. No question of any overtime, everyone is salaried. December is a quieter month generally.

if its not a small company then dont think twice.. you have plenty of people to cover the work for you.. your not leaving them in the lurch .. take the time off and enjoy it before you have an op and the recovery.. not like you will be jollying it up when your off!!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This shouldn't be a situation in which a compromise is sought or used. Why? For the protection of the company. I've seen managers attempt cuddly compromises before and its blown up big time in their faces. Staff bump their gums in the tea room, and unrest in the camp. A union gets involved. A solicitor gets involved. HR gets involved, and the manager gets reamed. Its an appalling bit of management to suggest that the company, basically, abuses its staff holiday and sick entitlement.

If a member of staff waved their contract at me I wouldn't bat an eyelid. They are fully entitled to do so. Its not about egos and who wins. Its about being professional. Cowboy antics over sick leave is.... disappointing. Its morally and legally wrong. You want to do a bit of give and take about them leaving early to pick the kids up from school, fine. Next time you want another 15 mins off them to box up a delivery. Now thats give and take. Buggering about with someone's leave/sick leave is Victorian Mill owner management 101.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You don’t owe the company anything. You only work there, you don’t own it. Take your sick and annual leave. Your entitled to it.