Monty's new putting style.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know if anyone else seen it today, but monty has a new putting style which involves him looking at the hole as he makes the stroke.
Seems to have served him reasonably well today, coming in at -2.
The theory is that it stops you leaving the putt short.
Anyone else seen this style or does anyone actually use it?
I might give it a go myself, as my last couple of rounds my putts haven't had the legs to make it to the hole although the line has been pretty good. It's been very frustrating, so I'm willing to give it try..
I'll let you know how I get on with it.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was interviewed about it after his round , he said he was held up the day earlier on a green so decided to play about trying new things and it started to click for him using it.

He gave a weird explanation about darts players not looking at their darts when they throw and cricketers not watching the ball?

If it gets the big lad back playing well I don’t care if he puts using a Barbie putter.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
heard about that technique on here some months ago so Monty is obviously an avid reader (come on in Monty, don't be shy!)

I usually have the same disease A-F, good lines but short, though I do have an alternate that's too long.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Everyone used to lag putt like this in the olden days but you don't see it much at all now. I remember doing this as a junior for long putts and its good for getting the length right. Its like when you look at someone and under-arm throw a ball to them, your body just makes exactly the right judgement for the distance and the effort required to get the object to the target. Would not trust this on short putts though.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree that I wouldn't want to use it for short putts as how can you gurantee you will hit the ball out of the centre of the face? I might try it for the longer distance, two putt regions tonight though as if you hit it dead weight you are never going to be too far away. Plus my long range putting has suddenly become woeful.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monty said he was not using it for short puts last night? Has he changed his mind on this, im working till 12 so aint going to be able to watch anything till about 13:30!!! AAAHHHH!!!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I'll keep an eye out for him and see, I certainly wasn't commenting on the fact that he is using it for short putts I was just saying I wouldn't, so it makes sense that he wouldn't either (I didn't know that). As for watching it at 13.30 I think the sky sports coverage stops at 13.00 and doesn't start again until 15.00 :eek:

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I try it before a round and it seems to work quite well haven't had the guts to use it on the course before.

I read it's something to do with your neck muscles "telling" your body how far the distance to the hole is ,apparently you are supposed to turn your head towards the target this sends the right signal from your neck.

Anybody else heard this or is it just golf mag mumbo jumbo?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was told to practice like this a while ago, was given the explination of a darts player, or professional snooker player looking at the object ball rather than cue ball. Works well if you have a solid technique of back and through!

Best thing to do though if you leaving your putts short is just practice some distance control techniques on the putting green. Always aim to leave the ball a foot past the hole!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best thing to do though if you leaving your putts short is just practice some distance control techniques on the putting green. Always aim to leave the ball a foot past the hole!

I remember trying this for the back 9 after I had left every putt on the front 9 short. It annoyed me due to the fact that every putt I hit did stop about a foot past the hole! I suppose that's good in the fact that at least you have a chance of holnig it but it really annoyed mje at the time, so on the 18th when I had about a 12ft putt for birdie I went back to my normal method thinking it will be a foot shorter and drop in the hole. I left it about 4 feet short and missed the par.

It wasnt great for me but it's worth a try though.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Davethepro always says, No matter how good your line is, if its short, its NEVER going in, you have to give it a chance!

It has to have enough speed to pass the hole, if your line is good, it has a chance of dropping.

I have psoted this before but I will do again for the noobs!

Putting drill for distance control.

Place flag 1 ft behind cup. Choose distance, the longer the better. Using 4 balls, try to score as many points as possible!

0 Points for anything past the flag behind the hole.
+3 Points in the scoring zone (between cup and flag)
5 Points for sinking putt
-3 points for ANYTHING short of hole.

Objective of game is to leave nothing short or you WILL be punished. Anything past the hole(but not too far) will score you!

Play against friends or on your own and beleive me, in a few weeks you WILL stop leaving putts short!

It also helps to keep practicing interesting, we all know how boring practicing putting can be when your no good!

Ham

Medal Winner
Visit site
Looks to me as if Montys getting desperate, is this really going to help him improve and get in Faldos team ?
I can understand him trying new things & I would like to see him do well again, not confident though...hope im wrong.
I agree with his point about making the Ryder cup 4 days instead of 3 though.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I rarely leave putts short and i just use a simple technique of sorting out the line , look at the hole and then imagine another hole 12 inches behind the actual hole. This is the one i aim for . Its only the line that then gives me grief :)