Mole Hill

rich1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok, so playing in my clubs stableford today one of my FC's ball came to rest behind a mole hill. The ball wasn't touching the mole hill and it didn't affect his stance. However it would have interfered with his follow through. He felt it was an abnormal ground condition and should have had a free drop but nobody really knew. He ended up playing it where it lay and the mole hill was wiped out as expected. What would have been the correct ruling on this?

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm by no means certain but the words " burrowing animal" come to mind, so I'd have said relief available without penalty.
***where's the "think's hard" smiley?***

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Relief was available - under 'Abnormal Ground Conditions' Burrowing Animals and their casts. Area of swing is also included if allowance for relief.

From 25-1.
"Interference by an abnormal ground condition occurs when a ball lies in or touches the condition or when the condition interferes with the player’s stance or the area of his intended swing."

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may also take relief from a flattened molehill providing it is definitely identifiable as having been a molehill.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You may also take relief from a flattened molehill providing it is definitely identifiable as having been a molehill.

Also had instances of this at an old club - on 1 particular hole. The problem was not so much in the identification of the flattened molehill, but whether it actually interfered. In many cases, the molehill did not interfere as the swing would go over it. Again, from memory, I believe a ruling notice was posted. I'd remember, but the somewhere near the OB on the other side was always the more likely place for me to end up! :angry: