mobile phones on golf course as from next year...

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if you have a need to be contacted by mobile phone then stay off the course. FFS is nowhere sacred, we all managed to play 18 without hearing a phone for bloody years they are a right pain in the *rse. 40yr olds acting like teenagers checking their phones every ten seconds in case they miss a text message of high importance. Leave the phone in the car or locker it's only 4 hours what can be so important. I say ban them from every course in the land.

Agreed

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they said I would be banned from playing because I NEVER have it turned on at golf. Iphones have all sorts of apps that can aid your play so I am in agreement with the club. Jack never had a mobile in his bag and it worked out pretty well for him.......

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they said I would be banned from playing because I NEVER have it turned on at golf. Iphones have all sorts of apps that can aid your play so I am in agreement with the club. Jack never had a mobile in his bag and it worked out pretty well for him.......

But he did have a caddy giving advice on yardages etc...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If a Committee want to make it a condition of competition then they can - can't they? It's their rules after the Rules of Golf and they can add anything they like eg you must wear red at Wimbledon Common (or wherever).
Mine's always in the bag, on silent, and it never gets checked unless I'm being held up and getting bored.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My phone is always sat in the GPS holder on my trolley as I have a sat nav on it for when I am playing. If they start banning mobile phones just on the off chance that you may have something on it that can aid you.....when are they going to ban all GPS devices. Then what next ban notebooks as you may have something wrote inside that to help you? Not let you have a a strokesaver book as you may have wrote notes in it?

I agree they are a menace when people are chatting away on them on the course or holding play up as they are checking facebook out. I have heard the bloody things going off when I have been on the course and it is very annoying. Have some respect for others and put them on silent if you are taking it out with you.

As you can tell I am on the fence about if you should or not have them on the course. Some good arguments for and against. But I am not going out and spending £100 on a skycaddie just because some old duffer in the club says I can't take my phone out with me. I will just take it anyway.

Imurg

Visit site
As long as the phone is not being used as a DMD there is no need in the Rules to ban them. If, however, a Committee just want to stop them going on the course then they can - as they can choose to not allow DMD's.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
im sure theres an app out there that measures wind speed, and alot have compasses on , which the r and a dont allow in dmd, but golf clubs are stuck in a time warp , in this day and age why shouldnt i be allowed to use my phone in the club house , what harm is it doing , or is it cos alot of the old brigade dont no who to work a mobile and internet

Imurg

Visit site
in this day and age why shouldnt i be allowed to use my phone in the club house , what harm is it doing , or is it cos alot of the old brigade dont no who to work a mobile and internet

The answer is that the "CLUB" have made rules. You've joined said club and therefore have to abide by them. If you don't like them then go through the channels to try to get things changed.
It's the club's bat, ball and wicket and they can "go home" any time they want.

Bobmysterkaymer

Head Pro
Visit site
I find the debate on using apps to help interesting! I use golfshot and it's a great gps app and helps me be confident with yardages. The compass app does nothing to help, and the wind speed app is a new one by me? You can and I do turn off the compass app so if any funny duddy wants a go at me then I can put him in his place. As someone else said why pay ££££££££££'s on a gps/laser etc when you can buy a golfshot app for £19.99 which is better than anything else out there!
Also there is an iPod touch which looks like an iPhone but without the calling capabilities! So you can't tell if it's a phone or just a small laptop type device!
I agree with no calls or texting, but in this day and age a mobile is a must. Especially if your buggy breaks down at the far end of the course and the pro can sprint out with a replacement..... Mobile phone=priceless!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Some interesting answers, some of which leave me baffled.... here's a couple

(1)
Mine's always in the bag, on silent, and it never gets checked unless I'm being held up and getting bored.

If it never gets checked then why not just turn it off? :confused:

(2)
NWJocko & Evesdad said:
If something happened to my daughter or my dad who has a long term illness that is infinitely more important than golf.

I don't use my phone but its on silent in my pocket every time i play.

If you went swimming for 2 hours do you keep it in a plastic bag in your trunks? Take it in the sauna? You guys must be nervous wrecks if you're always thinking of the worst happening... oooh.... quick, look behind you!!!

My missus understands that my phone won't be on when I play golf, she knows that the minute I finish I will check it... that's as good as it gets. I have told her before that I'm happy to not even have a phone if she prefers, I did about 30 years without one. :rolleyes:

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have an Iphone and the golfshot app. How ever due to there being access to a compass on the phone that makes it illegal to use. I dont believe you can uninstall the compass from the phone which would then make it legal. Iphones or any apps cannot measure windspeed again its impossible. You maybe able to get a weather app where it tells you the forecast and what weather it maybe at some weather station nearby. Its all very silly but I imagine there would be the idiots who would measure things if they could like angle of greens etc so I understand why its in play.

How ever banning phones is completely idiotic idea. Oh yes it could ruin that unimportant shot into the 9th green that will NOT affect your life, where as an on call fireman could get an important call to go and save peoples lives and the extra person could be the difference. Now think of your playing partners, your out on your own late afternoon only seen you 2 on the course. Your mate collapses and starts to have a heart attack yet you do not know any first aid. You are at the furthest point from the club house now it would take you at least 3 - 5minutes to run back to the clubhouse providing you can run at a decent speed. You phone an ambulance as you realilse there is no 1 around with good first aid. Those 5 minutes could be crucial for your friends life. Now do you really think mobile phones are such pests to have around? Those that still say yes then I feel extremely sorry for you as this unimportant game in the context of your life dictates such things.

What happens to the club when someone dies and they may of been saved if a few minutes could of been shaved off for medical attention? The club gets sued? Your premiums increase? These are all extreme cases but think of it in context as to what really matters. Yes its annoying that a ringtone put you off of your shot but then it could well be the same phone that could save your life.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have an Iphone and the golfshot app. How ever due to there being access to a compass on the phone that makes it illegal to use. I dont believe you can uninstall the compass from the phone which would then make it legal. Iphones or any apps cannot measure windspeed again its impossible. You maybe able to get a weather app where it tells you the forecast and what weather it maybe at some weather station nearby. Its all very silly but I imagine there would be the idiots who would measure things if they could like angle of greens etc so I understand why its in play.

How ever banning phones is completely idiotic idea. Oh yes it could ruin that unimportant shot into the 9th green that will NOT affect your life, where as an on call fireman could get an important call to go and save peoples lives and the extra person could be the difference. Now think of your playing partners, your out on your own late afternoon only seen you 2 on the course. Your mate collapses and starts to have a heart attack yet you do not know any first aid. You are at the furthest point from the club house now it would take you at least 3 - 5minutes to run back to the clubhouse providing you can run at a decent speed. You phone an ambulance as you realilse there is no 1 around with good first aid. Those 5 minutes could be crucial for your friends life. Now do you really think mobile phones are such pests to have around? Those that still say yes then I feel extremely sorry for you as this unimportant game in the context of your life dictates such things.

What happens to the club when someone dies and they may of been saved if a few minutes could of been shaved off for medical attention? The club gets sued? Your premiums increase? These are all extreme cases but think of it in context as to what really matters. Yes its annoying that a ringtone put you off of your shot but then it could well be the same phone that could save your life.

Just keep one in your bag... switch it ON when your mate collapses... simple huh?

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The differences to Justones comment, is on the golf course you can be anywhere theres no pa system. At a swimming pool you can be contacted quickly as long as people know where you are. I cracked my head open as a youngster at primary school when my mother was at the swimming pool. She got contacted quickly due to people knowing where she was and being able to contract the swimming pool and was able to come back and take me to have my head stitched up. If she wouldve been golfing with no mobile it couldve been quite a long while until he was found and told.

What about if your wife or partner has a heart attack wouldnt you rather know at the first green than 4 hours later? impossible if you dont have it on? Plus the talk was no phones on the course.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just keep one in your bag... switch it ON when your mate collapses... simple huh?

Most phones these days take a good minute or so to boot up from being switched off which could be vital if sumone collapses.

Personally I have no problem with phones on the course as long as they are on silent and it doesn't affect anyone else. Checking your texts/emails while stood around or walking to your next shot is really no different to checking a yardage book in my eyes.

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
my friends phone bleeps all the time when were practicing golf in the week which doesn't bother me

what does bother me is he will be playing great & consistent then the phone will bleep he then reads is message & breaks is concentration and moans about every bad shot after that

i wouldn't want to be in a competition with him so i agree no phones in competitions

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have no issues with someone having their phone in their bag on silent either... it's just hearing people's reasoning behind it that seems so pathetic. I certainly don't check my phone on every hole just in case a family member has died...

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most phones these days take a good minute or so to boot up from being switched off which could be vital if sumone collapses.

Personally I have no problem with phones on the course as long as they are on silent and it doesn't affect anyone else. Checking your texts/emails while stood around or walking to your next shot is really no different to checking a yardage book in my eyes.

You haven't seen the Samsung Galaxy 2 then? 10 seconds max