Mizuno tp-9 and refurbishment

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Evening all

I've fancied some old school blades for a while and was "lucky" enough to win these late 80s mizuno tp-9s for £38!

On receipt a couple of the heads have chips on the leading edge and a couple of the ferrels are coming away from the head.

Would a refurb be able to repair this kind of damage/wear or considering the cost would you just play them as they are?

All the grips will need replacing.

Cheers all

Adam

Photos here https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/6fHdQsnQxHyCqMppLER14qDK0EdJY6Q4y9SFhHD1ImR

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had them back then, inc a 1 iron. lovely bit of kit. Pulling the shafts and replacing the ferrules shouldn't be too difficult. The chips would be a little harder to sort out. Short version; if they're dents, not chips, you might be able to do something with them. If there's chunks missing, no.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They look like a chromed steel head, in which case if you want to fully restore them it'll be a costly exercise as they'll need re-chroming.

I've got some Wilsons in similar shape where the chrome is coming away, but I bought them to play them so it doesn't bother me.
I also have a set of Ben Sayers Mentors where it looks like someone has been hitting off concrete with a couple of them but these are forged stainless so can be worked on with a small hammer and file to bring back to shape.

It's often possible to heat the ferrule, slide it back down and re-glue, but clean all the rust and stains out first.

Nice set of irons. (y)

D

Deleted member 18121

Thanks for the responses all.

Yes Crow, the playing does seem to be coming away where the chips were. I guess I'll play them until it becomes more of an issue.... Because at worst they'll just need rechroming at a later date.

I'll just get them regripped and those few ferrules sorted. Then if I love them... Maybe spend some cash.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Use wet aluminium foil and the chrome will come up a treat.
Re - chroming itself might not be too expensive worth having a chat with some one, but the heads only.
Shafts can be replaced for very low costs .. just how far do you want to go and will it give you pleasure.

D

Deleted member 18121

Use wet aluminium foil and the chrome will come up a treat.
Re - chroming itself might not be too expensive worth having a chat with some one, but the heads only.
Shafts can be replaced for very low costs .. just how far do you want to go and will it give you pleasure.

Sorry to be dumb... When you say wet aluminium foil, is that a specific product? Or the kind of stuff you'd find in your kitchen?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
there are a coule of guys about who re finish Irons particularly Mizuno's , been looking at having a set of mine given a black finish.

D

Deleted member 18121

if I had kept my Pro originals, I was going to have then refinished in black with bright green infill
honestly, that sounds horrific - has someone else done that colour scheme?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re the ferrules. Pour some hot water over them and push them further up the shaft by enough to clean out all the old rust near the head. Mix up some two part epoxy and put this near the head. Use the hot water on the ferrule again and push the ferrule back in place remove excess epoxy with white spirit.

D

Deleted member 18121

When your done post a pic, it’s nice to see a renovation 🙂👍

I've just done a quick 5 minutes on one club, so here we have 3 before and 3 after.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/ZRTbRObQe28QcwBScj99ZRj3LoytNA9VohN8BTiyqjZ

I 100% can see a difference. I've tried to keep the lighting the same.

The only issue I have is that 3 of the club's have the chrome plating ready to peel off, so I'm either happy to live with it.... Or not 😁

I've got a quote from golf irons UK ltd to do a complete ceramic refurb of the heads, with painting in whatever colours I'd like, plus all grips redone and it's come in at £275. So they're either a bit of fun to have as a spare set, or I pump some cash into them and I have a brand new set of classic clubs.

Decisions.