Mizuno JPX 850 Forged vs Taylormade 2017 M2

Hoganman1

Visit site
I have both of these irons and I cannot decide which I like best. The TMs lofts are about one club stronger on the 4 through the 7 iron so they are a little longer. However, I'm more comfortable with the short irons (8-GW) of the Mizunos. I guess I could split the sets, but I'm not sure I want to do that because I'll have a gap . I was fitted for the Mizunos about five years ago and have played well with them. I bought the TMs a couple of Winters ago because they were forgiving and I got more distance from the longer irons in cold weather. Is anyone else torn between two sets? If so, do you just go back and forth like me or did you choose one and go with it?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The OP has everything you really need - except a decision!
Play the TMs in 'Winter' and the Mizzies for the rest of the year!

Hoganman1

Visit site
The OP has everything you really need - except a decision!
Play the TMs in 'Winter' and the Mizzies for the rest of the year!
That's what I'll probably do. I guess this isn't a common problem. I was just looking for advice from anyone who had a similar situation. I'm going to go back to the Mizunos and see what happens.

Last edited:

Hoganman1

Visit site
For anyone who cares, I solved the problem. I traded the M2s for a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged with graphite shafts. The lofts are slightly stronger on the 900s (4 through 7) and the graphite shafts help me gain a few more yards. The short irons feel the same as the 850s. Who knows. I may play them year round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen the date of the first post

have you got the lofts the right way round Mizuno 7 is 34 degree M2 7 is 28.5

My set is a mixed set anyway Mizuno JPX 900 tours 7-PW and Taylormade Tour Preferred 5&6 long irons and assorted wedges.

When get back to paying I am going to try something more forgiving and have already bought Ping I25s and TM PSIs to try.

I have got an old set of TM 360s with graphite shafts but my swing is still to strong for the graphite shafts ( I give them a go every so often)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Mizuno JPX 850 forged 7 iron is 32* and the 900 is 31* according to the Mizuno site,

I was confusing myself with what I have got which are JPX 900 Tour Forged.

I was originally going to buy a mixed set but luckily checked specs before the fitting day and realised the 900 forged have different lofts but I also quickly realised the feel between the two versions is very different so I might as well just stick with the TM for the mid irons.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I tried playing a mixed set but my M2s had steel shafts . My main reason for changing was to get graphite shafts. I'm old and the wear and tear is becoming an issue.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried playing a mixed set but my M2s had steel shafts . My main reason for changing was to get graphite shafts. I'm old and the wear and tear is becoming an issue.

You do not need to be old to play graphites. I played them from about 1992 to about 2006.

It was only after going on to a swing machine that I realised just how slow my swing had become using them. It was really weird at the time my swing speed with a driver was still around the 105-110 mark but my iron speed had dropped to below 70.