Mizuno golf pairs events

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thinking of entering one of these next year with a pal, are they any good? Never played in any sort of open or organised event apart from at my own club.

RichA

Visit site
I played one last year. It was an ok way of playing a different course relatively inexpensively, but it didn't really feel like we were part of an event.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played in one at Pleasington - it was okay but probably slightly more expensive than playing in the clubs own open, but the prizes on offer are ridiculous which probably explains why.

Obviously with big prizes come the risk of pot hunters and that's exactly what we found - 50 something points winning a pairs stableford.

There was one at Fleetwood last week but at £50 quid it wasn't worth me entering given I get it on a reciprocal. And I'm not convinced that's any cheaper than just paying a midweek green fee there.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
As above, they can be a good way of playing courses at a cheaper rate. Don't expect to win though, I follow their facebook page and every single week is someone complaining about the ridiculously high points scored or someone hitting a 340 yard drive to win the longest drive.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great, thanks for the replies. Sounds like it’s one to either avoid or go in with your eyes open and expectations low!

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
In my experience they are well organised events, however they're expensive for what they are, and as above, the winning scores are most likely unattainable for honest golfers! They often have special offers for entry so worth registering on their mailing list and looking out for those, e.g. they have early bird pricing now for 2024 events at reduced prices.

AAC

Visit site
As above, they can be a good way of playing courses at a cheaper rate. Don't expect to win though, I follow their facebook page and every single week is someone complaining about the ridiculously high points scored or someone hitting a 340 yard drive to win the longest drive.
^^^^^^ This !!!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you just want to play the course then it’s worth entering. I’ve played in a number of these over the past couple of years (some singles and some pairs) and they are well organised.

Sometimes the scores can be high, but not always and as I never expect to win I don’t regard that as an issue for me.

wjemather

Visit site
They are unquestionably better organised than they used to be - we played one of the first events at St Pierre and it was an utter shambles; Trevose a couple of years later was much better; and a mate who has played half a dozen in the past 2-3 years says they're generally well run now. However, the value still just isn't there if your primary objective is simply to play the course. Sure, their discount rates are usually a saving on the headline visitor green fee, but who ever pays that anyway? There are much cheaper ways of playing at almost every venue - even county card beats many!

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Some are no cheaper than picking courses and booking yourself and then you’re not restricted to the format so just be careful on the pricing

carldudley

Visit site
I've played in a good few of their Singles events and I don't have any complaints. I nearly always book early or when there's a discount on.

I'm playing 4 days in Fife next year (Dunbarnie, Leven, Scotscraig and Ladybank) for £249 - so quite the saving.

Don't have any Singles in the calendar for next year, nothing really too my fancy.