Mini drivers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate has one. He bought because he used to hit the driver too long for some of the holes on our course and needed something that did not go as far.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use an older model TM Aeroburner Mini - it has been brilliant for me. I have a love / hate relationship with drivers and go through periods where I really struggle off the tee. The Mini driver is, I find, super reliable. It also saves a space in my bag as surprisingly I find it easier to hit off the deck than my normal 3 wood.
Obviously it's not as long as traditional driver, but it keeps me in play more often and gives me a lot more confidence when standing on the tee
I have the same club, it's been a good club for me. For sure the distance is sacrificed, but the accuracy helps keep a good score.

RichA

Visit site
I like to save £400 by cranking the loft of my driver +2° and moving down the grip a couple of inches.

dronfield

Visit site
Over a 5 year period i had 3 TM Aeroburner mini drivers - started with 14 degree, went to 16 degree then back to 14 degree. Think the concept of a bigger head on a 3w length shaft was probably a good one, but in the end i decided to grip down on my Ping G Series driver, and this with the 460cc large head has proved to be more forgiving and consistent.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see adam scott was saying recently that he would like to see driver head size reduced. Maybe to these mini driver size.

I agree with him fully. How they went from small wooden heads to the behemoths that we have today is beyond my comprehension.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a TM Mini Driver One that I occasionally bring out if the driver is misbehaving, it's easy to hit and it is more consistent, to be honest I'd probably do better just sticking it in the bag more often however I do like hitting the full fat version!! They're all crap off the deck through regardless what the manufacturer claims.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I came from the era of proper wooden clubs and the heads are scarily small when compared to the modern designs. Going back to the smaller head of a mini driver did make me think of the smaller heads I use to play so wasn't that worried looking down at a smaller head. I don't think we're ever go backwards and can't see the governing bodies rolling back from the 460cc??? we have now

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the same club, it's been a good club for me. For sure the distance is sacrificed, but the accuracy helps keep a good score.
Same for me. Seems like the logical choice on short par 4s when you know you can reach the green with an iron on your second shot. More accurate than the driver and only about 20 yards or so shorter.

Reactions: SyR

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know this is easy for me to say as someone who enjoys hitting driver - but if you struggle with it, why would a smaller face help?? I understand shortening the shaft and adding loft, but then why not just do that and still have the driver head with the larger face?
This is the main reason I ask the question. Up until a year ago I loved hitting my driver. I could never understand how hitting a 3 wood would be easier than hitting a driver. But I hit my 3 wood more consistentantly than my driver. How’s that work out.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Same for me. Seems like the logical choice on short par 4s when you know you can reach the green with an iron on your second shot. More accurate than the driver and only about 20 yards or so shorter.
Not decrying your reasoning for 1 minute but what you've said there is exactly the reason I gave up on Mini drivers..
My 4 wood is about 25 yards short of my driver, probably more accurate too.
But I can hit that 4w off the deck far, far better than a mini driver.
So do you carry a mini driver and a 3/4 wood?
I've always found the 3/4w to do more or less what the miniD does which renders the MiniD obsolete
Horses for courses..

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Not decrying your reasoning for 1 minute but what you've said there is exactly the reason I gave up on Mini drivers..
My 4 wood is about 25 yards short of my driver, probably more accurate too.
But I can hit that 4w off the deck far, far better than a mini driver.
So do you carry a mini driver and a 3/4 wood?
I've always found the 3/4w to do more or less what the miniD does which renders the MiniD obsolete
Horses for courses..
I have driver, mini and 5w. Off the tee I will use all 3 depending on how narrow the fairway is, but the 5w is significantly shorter than the mini. Off the fairway, I only use the 5w, but not very well.