Mini Driver - Technique

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've never hit one, but with all the talk it's got me thinking.
In all truth I hit my 3 wood more consistent than driver and probably prefer hitting it, however we all want more distance providing accuracy is not lost too much.
So to my question, with the mini is the technique more like hitting 3 wood where it's swept off the tee ? Do you also tee the ball a lot lower to say White Castle height ? And fundamentally the main issue is there any need for spine tilt away from the target so as to hit up on the ball ?
So is hitting a mini driver more like hitting 3 wood, or would you say it's just like hitting driver ?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I use my extensively and find it far easier to use than my driver which is well and truly on the naughty step for me!!

My set up is to hit like I would my driver and I use a blue castle tee.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In all truth I hit my 3 wood more consistent than driver and probably prefer hitting it, however we all want more distance providing accuracy is not lost too much.
So to my question, with the mini is the technique more like hitting 3 wood where it's swept off the tee ? Do you also tee the ball a lot lower to say White Castle height ? And fundamentally the main issue is there any need for spine tilt away from the target so as to hit up on the ball ?
So is hitting a mini driver more like hitting 3 wood, or would you say it's just like hitting driver ?

That would probably depend on the length of shaft and the loft of the mini driver.
I would guess as they will be similar to your 3 wood you should use it like your 3 wood.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

depending how deep the face is of the 'mini driver' to what tee height used good ball park starting point (as folks don't really want to be hitting down a bunch with a mini driver as that would negate the reason to have one) is to have the ball's equator around level with the top leading edge to crown

ideally you still looking to swing up a tad (+1 ish) or at worst level (if the swing speed is up around 110mph then can afford to hit down a tad -1, -2 with no real issues as long as face to path ok) but hit down a good bunch and you put way more spinrate onto the ball

as the stance with the mini will/should naturally be wider so someways around 3 metal stance width (just a tad less then driver) and with ball more in 3 metal position so still forwards but not as forwards as a driver and as the trail hand is always going to be lower than the lead the trail shoulder better be a tad lower than the lead shoulder so there is and should always be a spine tilt ways from target

have no spine tilt aways from target so with shoulders more level usually goes hand in hand with an over, out to in swing swing shape as level shoulders forwards ball position always have the upper chest/shoulders open to target line when viewed from dtl with also the trail arm (forearm) way higher then the lead arm - so looking from behind you'd see the lead forearm at address below the trail - always going to give some unwanted issues with pulls, cuts & slicearama

folks often get confused with why the spine tilt aways from target is there - but it's just all part and parcel of a good set-up and it's a bigger away angle tilt with the driver down to the ball being both furthest forwards in stance and highest on tee plus the stance width being at it's widest

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In old money it's a 2 wood. They come in various lofts typically between 12 and 16 degrees depending on make/model.

But with a significantly greater volume as well - typically 250+ cc as opposed to around 150-180 for a 'normal' 3 wood.