Milngavie, Hilton Park & Helensburgh

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just after a bit of feedback on these three courses. We're off on a trip and taking in these courses in a few weeks and wondered whether anyone had played them and whether they rated them? ;)

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not played any you mentioned.

Would recommend Cardross which is close to Helensburgh and very nice.

Andy

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played any you mentioned.

Would recommend Cardross which is close to Helensburgh and very nice.

Andy

At last, a reply! :D

We're all booked in already as a friend organises the trip and I thought that someone on here would have played them. ;)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
PM the craw I am sure he has played helensburgh ( seem to remember something about it) and Milngavie? I learnt to play at Dalmuir a muni course in Clydebank if you get a chance give that a go.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played Helensburgh last year in their open. It is an extrememly friendly club with superb views over the Clyde. A challenging course, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bunkers

Head Pro
Visit site
Played the big course at Hilton last month in a works tie. I was really impressed with the lay-out & condition of the course, inparticular the greens were very good. You will have a great day!

level5s

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: Milngavie, Hilton Park & Helensburgh

Just after a bit of feedback on these three courses. We're off on a trip and taking in these courses in a few weeks and wondered whether anyone had played them and whether they rated them? ;)

Can I ask how you rate Hilton Park then, I am planning playing it at the start of June.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Can I ask how you rate Hilton Park then, I am planning playing it at the start of June.

My dad was a member there for many years and it's where I made my first tentative steps in the game - lessons with the pro there when I was maybe 5 or 6!

Obviously I've played it many times over the years but not for a while now since he passed away.

There are two courses; the Hilton (bigger course) and the Allander both of which are enjoyable but play the Hilton if choosing. It was always in good condition with some interesting holes. I particularly like the par 3 17th. Longish par 3 from elevated tee. My dad said over the years he'd hit every club from pitching wedge to driver depending on conditions (he was a cat 1 golfer).

Nice location as well - out in the country so has a really quiet calmness to it. I also remember lots of brutal rough so don't be wayward! It's a bit hilly as well so have your weetabix before you go.

Good times - makes me want to play it again! :)

T

thecraw

I'm 100% with Andy Cardross is in a different league to Helensburgh. Last time I played Helensburgh it was rather tatty round the edges and not great, the clubhouse is also rather run down.

Hilton Park is ok unless its been wet when it becomes an absolute bog, the drainage is very poor however it does have some nice holes on it and its a decent layout. I'm going to disagree with FairwayDodger and say the wee course floats my boat better than the big course, there are some crackers on that track.

Milngavie, I rate and like and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Good clubhouse and good track usually presented in nice condition.

If you could I would swap Hilton Park for Buchanan Castle which is in great condition these days after a good bit of work and investment and I'd also swap Helensburgh for Cardross.

They are all decent honest tracks though.

(PS, pack your Avon Skin So Soft, you'll need it!)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

milngavie is a good course not that hard with friendly members , but its hard to find , you drive through a farm yard to get to the course. if i remember right hilton is quite hilly and used to be quite posh, don't know about helensburgh . if you would like a mid week round a bellshill north lanarkshire [not posh but a good test] when your here. pm , me

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

i was replying to post 12 . if the question is out of date . whats the point . sorry if read it wrong and i offended anyone.and sorry again i'm still new at this . any probs . pm. me