Mike H and Cobra YouTube

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last night I watched Mike H getting fitted for a full set of Cobras (Lovely btw) and noted that he uses utility irons over hybrids (In fact none.) Must admit I assumed, which I know I shouldn't, that mike would be a hybrid player.

Shame numbers weren't posted for the utilities nor if he considered them or not.

If you haven't watched it - it's an interesting idea and I'm keen to see if he gets his HCP down.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Last night I watched Mike H getting fitted for a full set of Cobras (Lovely btw) and noted that he uses utility irons over hybrids (In fact none.) Must admit I assumed, which I know I shouldn't, that mike would be a hybrid player.

Shame numbers weren't posted for the utilities nor if he considered them or not.

If you haven't watched it - it's an interesting idea and I'm keen to see if he gets his HCP down.

Hi Sats
pleased to hear you found the video interesting. I have always played iron style hybrids - had the original PING Crossover in the bag since they were launched (and have also had Mizuno MP H4) and they were my go to clubs so was just looking for something similar

I'm really loving the new set up - one length and graphite shafts in the irons is a revelation - and think if i can get my short game (chipping and pitching) sorted then I can cut my handicap!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mike re one length, do you happen to know if Cobra have ever considered 3 length irons?
  • 4,5,6 same length (about a typical 5 iron length)
  • 7,8,9 same length and shorter than above
  • PW, GW, SW same length and shorter than above
On paper it would seem to offer benefits from the theory behind a one-length set up while not having to learn to play short-game shots with clubs that are way longer than we’re used to

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Interested to know - how does the one length work for wedges? Do you find yourself just gripping down the shaft, thus negating the point, or was it easy to change your swing to suit?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mike re one length, do you happen to know if Cobra have ever considered 3 length irons?
On paper it would seem to offer benefits from the theory behind a one-length set up while not having to learn to play short-game shots with clubs that are way longer than we’re used to

That is an interesting concept.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site

my understanding is they are looking at this for 2020 - might even be an option in the US now

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Interested to know - how does the one length work for wedges? Do you find yourself just gripping down the shaft, thus negating the point, or was it easy to change your swing to suit?
only have 1 length 5-PW, for 50/54 and 58 went to variable because holding a 54/58 degree wedges with a 7 iron shaft - especially when id never hit those clubs with a full swing - was frankly weird!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
only have 1 length 5-PW, for 50/54 and 58 went to variable because holding a 54/58 degree wedges with a 7 iron shaft - especially when id never hit those clubs with a full swing - was frankly weird!

This has been a common thought with one length users from what I've read and seen on reviews.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Great video, really enjoyed it. Have toyed with the thought of one length but want to hit the set. Do cobra do this in fittings?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Great video, really enjoyed it. Have toyed with the thought of one length but want to hit the set. Do cobra do this in fittings?
yes in the fitting you hit 5, 7, 9 and wedges in Cobra fittings - rather than just focusing on 7 iron and building around that which tends to be the way a lot of other fittings unfold

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I nearly got to the end bit in the car on the video but was so distraught by Mike's story of his game I slashed both wrists. Lucky i was as accurate as Mikes wedges and completely missed 😣😣

D

Deleted member 16999

Did you not consider the wedges in the same shaft as the 5-PW?

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Did you not consider the wedges in the same shaft as the 5-PW?

Yeah he said he did, but it felt "weird", which is exactly why I posed the question. I'm not sure how it would feel anything else after so long having much shorter wedges.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yeah he said he did, but it felt "weird", which is exactly why I posed the question. I'm not sure how it would feel anything else after so long having much shorter wedges.
My apologies, didn’t mean shaft length, meant shaft type.