Midweek Friendlies

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you'll find that it's mostly Arsenal players that get tired, three weeks into the season!

Slime.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess they've resigned themselves to not playing European football next year too including Europa league. It will make some money as they're still a big draw but you have to question who they will play and how far will they travel if most of the big sides in Europe qualify next year. Surely they wouldn't go all the way to the US for a game and back again before a league fixture at the weekend

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
AC Milan were lined up but been vetoed by UEFA as it would distract from CL brand so, it'll be Saudi or Qatar in jan, February after Fac Bournemouth or some other lower league side knocks us out of the FAC.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess they've resigned themselves to not playing European football next year too including Europa league. It will make some money as they're still a big draw but you have to question who they will play and how far will they travel if most of the big sides in Europe qualify next year. Surely they wouldn't go all the way to the US for a game and back again before a league fixture at the weekend

Not at all.
I'm fully confident that United believe they'll qualify for next season's Champions League, and I see no reason to doubt that.
As for who they'll play in the friendlies, I'm sure they'll be heading out to the Middle East as USA and the Far East are definitely too far just for a mid-week game.

Slime.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not at all.
I'm fully confident that United believe they'll qualify for next season's Champions League, and I see no reason to doubt that.
As for who they'll play in the friendlies, I'm sure they'll be heading out to the Middle East as USA and the Far East are definitely too far just for a mid-week game.

Slime.

Surely if they do get CL or Europa league qualification there won't be the time to play these. I don't see the benefit to be gained and surely it's just stretching the squad and risking injury for a meaningless game. If they do play in the Middle East, surely humidity and travelling will also be an issue. Seems a very strange notion to me

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are the friendlies not for this season ?

Even if it is, I can't see the benefits to be gained especially if they are playing teams from the middle east who will probably not provide too much in terms of quality opposition. If it was a good idea, surely other sides would have done it before now but if I was a fan, I'd be happier if LVG was working on getting the side playing better in the PL and getting injured players available asap rather than risk further knocks

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely if they do get CL or Europa league qualification there won't be the time to play these. I don't see the benefit to be gained and surely it's just stretching the squad and risking injury for a meaningless game. If they do play in the Middle East, surely humidity and travelling will also be an issue. Seems a very strange notion to me

The mid-week friendlies are for this season, they won't play them next season as they'll be in the Champions League ...................... obviously.
United are doing this largely for income and partly for match practice for their players.
Oh, they're also blazing a trail for Liverpool to follow next season :whistle:.

Slime

D

Deleted member 15344

The benefits are financially to fill a gap from not having CL football and they will find teams to play them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do United really need to do it for the income? as they are a huge global brand and surely they'd have budgeted for non-qualification once the Moyes fiasco made it obvious CL or Europa league was a big ask. I still find it strange that they'd risk injuries on a nothing fixture especially when their PL is far from convincing to date. As I said why haven't other sides done this before, even on a lesser scale?

D

Deleted member 15344

They lost £50mil alone so far without CL but spent over £150 mil on players

So yes they need to find that income stream

Francisceo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm all for improving the books but i'm slightly worried about injuries. We cant play a 90 minutes game without someone picking up an injury

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm all for improving the books but i'm slightly worried about injuries. We cant play a 90 minutes game without someone picking up an injury

I would think that these games would be used to blood some of the youngsters.
Besides, most of United's injuries seem to occur during training rather than during competitive matches.

Slime.

Francisceo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would think that these games would be used to blood some of the youngsters.
Besides, most of United's injuries seem to occur during training rather than during competitive matches.

Slime.
yeap Van Gaal's double training sessions :rant:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No mystery. It is all about money. They will get paid millions to turn up to some oil rich country and play a game. Same goes for the Far East which is a key market. Those people paying millions to get them across wont want to see youngsters playing. There will be clauses in the contracts specifying that certain big players are on show.

It is the same for pre season. The best locations for pre-season are mainland Europe, good weather, top facilities, short travel, but the big teams tour the world picking up the money. Is it best for the players and the team, absolutely not. Money rules and if you want the best players you have to pay the biggest fees and wages and that has to come from somewhere.

Makes a complete mockery of managers complaining about international matches tiring their players out. Total double standards.