Midkent golf club

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read in the latest golf news the are considering selling up and moving, anyone know more about this ?

My understanding is that they need cash to fix the clubhouse (something like £1.5m). Exploring their options has raised the possibility of selling the land they are currently on to builders, who as part of the deal, would build a new course.

I think a club in Norwich has done something similar?

Anyway, I think it was going to a vote in February, but I don't know what the outcome of the vote was. I also get the feeling there would be quite a few planning hurdles to clear.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that they need cash to fix the clubhouse (something like £1.5m). Exploring their options has raised the possibility of selling the land they are currently on to builders, who as part of the deal, would build a new course.

I think a club in Norwich has done something similar?

Anyway, I think it was going to a vote in February, but I don't know what the outcome of the vote was. I also get the feeling there would be quite a few planning hurdles to clear.

I'm struggling to think of where they could possibly build a course nearby ???

Maybe put in a bid for deangate ridge :D

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would be green belt land, so I would guess at it being the other side of the M2. There is a lot of very scenic green space between Gravesend and Meopham, and generally along that corridor of land south of the M2.

I’ve not played Mid Kent. I’ve heard it’s a decent course.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I understand it, the land has been offered for housing, with each member getting £15k if it is sold.
It is a nice course, with excellent greens, but quite hemmed in by houses and roads.
I think they lost their head greenkeeper end of last year, but don’t know what impact that has had. They do have a very good and active social side.

Where they would go or build a new course I don’t know, but I do know that the nearby Southern Valley club (which although is a public course) is threatened with being ploughed up with the proposed new Thames crossing being consulted on.