Mid week Medal annoying playing partner

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
I played someone the other day, who hummed a really annoying tune, for the first 7 holes, and commented on the lie of my ball on a few occasions. By the 8th hole i had enough, and asked him nicely to stop commenting on the lie of my ball, and to stop humming that annoying tune. Well he took the hump, and never spoke to me for the rest of the round. Was i out of order asking him to shut up, or is there a rule on how to conduct yourself whilst playing in a medal. Thx guys :D

DCB

Visit site
It's really covered in Section 1 of the Rules, Etiquette : Behaviour on the course.

I'd expect anyone I played with to be able to show the appropriate consideration of the others in the group by not moving, talking or making unnecessary noise whilst people are playing shots.

As for passing comment on someones lie.... not something I'd do.

munro007

Tour Rookie
So its ok to hum Go West By The Pet Shop Boys, ( awful tune ) all the way round the course, as long as its not when i am playing. WOW. Ok how about commenting on someones lie.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our medal last week one of my partners' ball plugged in a bunker.

I made some comment about how unlucky it was, or something like that anyway. She failed to get it out, and after we finished the hole I commiserated and said she'd had no chance from that lie.

Didn't think there was anything wrong with that!

munro007

Tour Rookie
Karen i don't comment on peoples lies.

Just like when i play in match games, i don't tell someone, don't leave it short.

Maybe i am to sensitive :mmm:
Can you wear an iPod playing a comp. :whistle:
That would solve a few problems. :rofl:

Last edited:

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Karen i don't comment on peoples lies.

Just like when i play in match games, i don't tell someone, don't leave it short.

Maybe i am to sensitive :mmm:
Can you wear an iPod playing a comp. :whistle:
That would solve a few problems. :rofl:

'go west' either they were giving you advice or liked the way you swung:whistle:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So its ok to hum Go West By The Pet Shop Boys, ( awful tune ) all the way round the course, as long as its not when i am playing. WOW. Ok how about commenting on someones lie.

On the humming , yep i guess its ok to hum away once its not when you are playing your shot ..to avoid the humming , walk faster or slower than him, strike up a conversation .. offer them a sweet
Regarding commenting on peoples lies , that would be a no no for me , & if you were anoying me and commented on my lie , i just say , "just aswell you do have to hit it then eh ? "

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have tried to handle it with humour (as is my usual solution to things), maybe passing your own comments such as:
"Big fan of the pet shop boys are we?"
Next time: "You must be a huge fan of that Pet Shop Boys there fella".
And: "Wow, you love them Pet shop boys"
Make him self-conscious enough to stop, rather than telling him outright shut the proverbial up. Probably handle the lie situation in a similar way. Each to their own, but he was being annoying!

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
I played someone the other day, who hummed a really annoying tune, for the first 7 holes, and commented on the lie of my ball on a few occasions. By the 8th hole i had enough, and asked him nicely to stop commenting on the lie of my ball, and to stop humming that annoying tune. Well he took the hump, and never spoke to me for the rest of the round. Was i out of order asking him to shut up, or is there a rule on how to conduct yourself whilst playing in a medal. Thx guys :D

you played crap din't you :smirk:

munro007

Tour Rookie
I played with him the day before in the club championship, and spanked him 6-5. He was the perfect gent. Thats why i was surprised when he started all his crap. I don't mind playing with him again. I think he learnt a lesson. :D I treat people like i would want to be treated myself.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Our medal last week one of my partners' ball plugged in a bunker.

I made some comment about how unlucky it was, or something like that anyway. She failed to get it out, and after we finished the hole I commiserated and said she'd had no chance from that lie.

Didn't think there was anything wrong with that!

In a competition round I hate when anyone offers their view on my lie or my luck, even in a purely observational sense. Without knowing it, they can sew seeds of doubt and although it is on me to ignore that, I'd rather it wasn't put there in the first place.