Metal spikes v plastic v spikeless

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's your preference ?

In winter I use metal spikes on sole of shoes but soft spider spikes on heel section.
All metal and I find I do the occasional "banana skin" slide when my heel slips on muddy ground when walking.

My very first pair of golf shoes were spikeless, and the soles wore out before the shoes did.
I assume the polymers used nowadays are more hard wearing, but I like to change my spikes regularly.
How well do the modern spikeless shoes grip and wear?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to wear spikes in the winter. I prefer cleats in the summer. I use to have a pair of the pimple soles which are on a lot of these new styles and they were fine in the summer and so I may well go back to these again if I find a shoe I like. The only issue I did find was if there is a shower of rain onto dry summer grass which does make it a little slippery

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
never had a pair with metal spikes for over 20 years,most courses i have played banned them in the 80's,i used to have a pair with a hard plastic type material as a spike and cleats cant recall who made them but never slipped with those,my first proper golf shoes ( over 40 years ago ) were a black leather brogue with leather soles and huge metal spikes,they weighed as much as me .

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've worn Stingers in my AQL's since having them recommended on here around 3-4 months ago, there absolutely great.

I will probably just leave those in whilst its still soft/frosty/wintery but, when I buy some new summer shoes I'll see how I get on first with what they come with and change the soft spikes if necessary, unless I go for spikeless.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm interested on how well the soles wear and grip on these modern spikeless shoes.
They do look uber comfy

they really aren't going to 'wear' on most golf courses - but they will wear fast on concrete cart paths (unless you are in the cart!) or cinder. None of my non metal spiked shoes appear to have worn at all over the last 3 years, although I've lost 2 spikes from 1 shoe (only) and worn them hard enough that a couple of pairs look 'well worn' on the uppers.

I've had steel, tungsten, cleat, soft spike (plastic) and soft spike (early rubber coated metal ring) and the best grip in poor conditions were the cleats on the Synr-G's.

Metal spikes are as good as the surface they are gripping, they have no inherent grip from the sole, and I find the cleat/sole mix to be more effective in really poor conditions (wet clay bank for example). When you see the grip that a good modern spikeless sole can have on dry grass during things like Wimbledon I dont think there's an argument that they 'won't grip' - my early tests suggest that the Ecco sole handles damp grass as well.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Given the weather that we are now having a lot of the time, I have gone back to metal spikes or Pro Stingers in most of my shoes. Keep a pair of cleated ones for courses that don't like spikes, but prefer the spikes to be honest. Crunching down a gravel path, irons chattering in the bag, one of golf's little aural pleasures.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Given the weather that we are now having a lot of the time, I have gone back to metal spikes or Pro Stingers in most of my shoes. Keep a pair of cleated ones for courses that don't like spikes, but prefer the spikes to be honest. Crunching down a gravel path, irons chattering in the bag, one of golf's little aural pleasures.

Its a bit like being back on the drill square, crunch, crunch, crunch :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of shoes that have metal spikes that I use in frosty conditions. You never know when you might go end over end on a slippery slope, and may be break an ankle?

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought a set of combination cleat/spikes for the winter and they are superb. I had a big problem with slipping on some of our winter tees but these stopped that all together.