Messing up first couple of tee shots

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is beginning to bother me....which could well make things worse...but..

On the range I'm generally hitting well with my driver and hybrid. The distance is pretty consistent, even if the direction still needs some work. But when I tee-off on the course I often top the first couple of tee shots. Even if I've just nailed 10 drives on the range. After a couple of holes, things generally go ok. Though I still mess up the odd shot later in the round.

Is it just mind-games? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could just be down to feeling a bit anxious as to where exactly the ball is going to go. So getting a bit rushed in the swing motion overall so not really fully completing the shoulder turn & the upper body coming up some into impact.

Just try to breathe, pick your aim line, aim clubface square to line, aim body parallel left, get in to good set-up. You've done everything you need to now, to send the shot in the direction you want. Now just about trusting an unhurried swing.
Think smooth tempo, rhythm & balance for solid contact, not 'distance'. Centered contact at 70% energy will go farther & straighter than 90% with contact off either the heel or toe or bottom or top of the face.

So breathe, exhale, nice smooth complete shoulder turn & then swing (don't hit at) through the ball, after impact allow your eyes to follow the ball so you can complete the swing to the finish.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sound advice.

If I get nervous over an important putt or an intimidating drive I just imagine I'm on the putting green or driving range. Just picture yourself there, taking a shot that doesn't mean anything, holing a practice putt, like its easy.

Works sometimes!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers, thanks, been in NYC for last several weeks through my work, but that has made my journey to see my folks who retired East some time back a lot shorter & quicker, so all enjoying the '4th' & the holiday weekend :)

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
I do exactly what Curls said.
If tee shots are going off target I just say "Ok, I'm on the range" and I relax.
When I'm on the range I always aim between two targets, just like trying to hit a fairway.
Then, on the tee, I picture the two targets at the range.
Slowing down and relaxing is always the key.
My partners have heard me more then once mutter "Now, just aim for the big white tractor tyre in the middle of the fairway".

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is about your mindset. I think too many players get these sort of things going through their head on that first tee.

Lets get off to a good start and not mess it up on the 1st
Keep it in play and not stick it out of bounds
I hate all these people watching me tee off
Maybe I should put my driver away and hit a steady rescue down the middle
This first hole always costs me
etc etc etc

My best advice is this:

Think about what club you are going to hit, if it's a driver then do not take it out if the bag and start thinking about a safer option going onto the tee, commit to your choice. I always sing a little song in my head (obviously not out loud as I can't sing...lol) to relax myself. I stand behind the ball take a look down the fairway, have a nice slow practice swing to settle down. Then I step up to the ball and just hit it and what will be will be.

At at the end of the day you know you can do it, you've just been doing it on the range.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Can New Golf Thinking as a Kindle 'book' be used on any other format? I don't own a kindle and can't see the sense in paying double the price for a paperback if it can be read on a mobile device.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can New Golf Thinking as a Kindle 'book' be used on any other format? I don't own a kindle and can't see the sense in paying double the price for a paperback if it can be read on a mobile device.

Can be used on an Ipad or i Phone