Membership in East Sussex

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I am the guy that started the thread, I live in Wadhurst, and I believe the Neville is in Kent

As per mine and Canary Yellow's little back and forth, the Nevill is in Tunbridge Wells, but in Sussex. It's probably under 15 mins to wadhurst. I'm in Tunbridge Wells - it takes me 20 mins to get to Dale hill (only mentioned because of the time comparison to Ticehurst, down the road from you) and an hour to get to Seaford. Don't discount it because of the county border!

Bermuda

Visit site
As per mine and Canary Yellow's little back and forth, the Nevill is in Tunbridge Wells, but in Sussex. It's probably under 15 mins to wadhurst. I'm in Tunbridge Wells - it takes me 20 mins to get to Dale hill (only mentioned because of the time comparison to Ticehurst, down the road from you) and an hour to get to Seaford. Don't discount it because of the county border!

All wind ups aside, I like The Neville but I don't love it, just personal taste

TeeRev

Visit site
I am calling Seaford tomorrow

You'll probably speak to Christopher who's the General Manager and a nice chap, tell him I recommended you and if you decide to join make sure he puts my name on your membership form as your introducer, I'll get £100 on my bar card for that and will happily share it with you 50/50. If you would like to play a trial round before you join let me know as I play with a nice bunch most days during the week and should be able to fit you in somewhere.

Bermuda

Visit site
You'll probably speak to Christopher who's the General Manager and a nice chap, tell him I recommended you and if you decide to join make sure he puts my name on your membership form as your introducer, I'll get £100 on my bar card for that and will happily share it with you 50/50. If you would like to play a trial round before you join let me know as I play with a nice bunch most days during the week and should be able to fit you in somewhere.
That's a fair offer, deal done, would love to set up a trial round

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like seaford, it’s a good course. Good one for a trip with some mates too with the dormy house!

I’d go for Crowborough beacon though if living in wadhurst. I prefer the course and the drive to seaford would be a bit much for me.

I know what you mean about the nevill. I like it but it doesn’t really float my boat. Not quite sure why, possibly too many quite similar holes.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have to agree with you on the 18th at the "Head", it's a spectacular hole, Peter Allis rated it as one of the ten most beautiful holes in the world when he opened the new clubhouse a few years ago, the rest of the course is pretty good as well and I still really enjoy playing there occasionally.
I can actually see the Head's 1st and the 18th from my bed when I open the blinds in the morning and most of the rest of the course from my roof terrace, unfortunately for the reasons I've stated above the facilities at Blatch do make it the better course overall.
I have to go out onto my back balcony to see the 9th/10th holes at "Blatch", to be realistic the view across the bay when you're up there playing them is pretty damn good as well so why don't you come along and give it a try, I'll happily take you round as my guest.
Thanks for the offer - I may well take you up on that.

It sounds like you live in a great location :cool:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Blatchington is a nice course, I've played it a fair few times and always enjoyed it. But I reckon you'll soon get fed up with the 35 mile drive down from Wadhurst to play it.
Lewes is a bit closer and is an "okay" course, drains really well and I think their claim to fame is that they have never had a temporary green in operation.
The only problem with Lewes, (and I suppose it's the same at Blatchington), is the exposure to the elements. Lovely on a calm summers day/evening, but if it's a tad breezy at ground level, hold on to your hat, (and everything else), when playing Lewes's 8th hole. The whole course is susceptible to the wind, but once you get up to the top it's every man for himself. You have been warned lol!!
If I were in Wadhurst, I'd be looking at Crowborough Beacon without a doubt. A reasonable journey to get there for one, and it's a lovely course. Every hole is different, and there are plenty of "stand outs". I don't really think there is one "bad" golf hole out of the 18.
It doesn't drain as well as it used to, but is far better than a lot of others in the area.
The practice facilities aren't top of the range, or never were. Membership has a reputation for being a bit "snooty" but to be fair I never found that when I was a member there (between 1986 and 2000).
Dennis Newnham, (the pro), has been there for donkey's years, and is a very good teacher.
I see that they now offer a flexible membership scheme which appears to be very good value for money.
I only left the club because I went through a divorce and moved away. I rejoined a few years ago under their "County" membership scheme and thought I could get it to work. But living in Bexhill, the trip up to play was annoying, (which is why I think you will find the trip down to Seaford every time a bit wearing), so I gave it up and joined Cooden Beach which is so convenient for me.
Cooden doesn't drain well at all, so not worth joining as a full member. Not worth paying for 12 months membership when the course is basically under water for 4 months of the year!!
I am going to rejoin again next year, utilising their flexible membership scheme. Makes a lot more sense.

shagster

Head Pro
Visit site
east sussex national is the best layout and practice facilities, but its getting very wet in the winter, and as such has suffered in the last 2 years
nowhere better in the summer