Membership Dilemma

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all . My membership this yr is €770 .
Spent most of last yr complaining of course set up . If ya drive it over 250 leave driver in bag for 16 holes . 2 feet off fairway ur looking for ball in rough . Very dry course loves rain but very linksy in summer .. as a result we entered a scratch cup tour of events so play away alot ..

My delimma is i love the club . Its 7min from home and its very playable in winter .

I can join a club 35 min away for €180 play my 3 comps there keep my card and play my opens. There are alota opens im my current club .. its hard to justify €770 to mainly play weekends and play away a good bit .
Im staying . Im going . Im staying .im going ive no idea what to do ..

What would u do ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I actually had a similar issue at my last club. I really enjoyed being a member but the course didn’t do it for me (rough and hole length). The course just didn’t thrill me enough to pay the £900 they wanted.

But I actually moved to a more expensive club, but one I enjoy more. So I reckon I get better value for money now.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Join both clubs if the second one is that cheap. Work out which is the hardest to play and have that as your home club for handicap purposes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Join both clubs if the second one is that cheap. Work out which is the hardest to play and have that as your home club for handicap purposes.

Agree the principle 100%; that woulld be my route.

However the home club element is a red herring. Doesn't matter which is home club - the same rounds count.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spot on, but I think it better to have your home club as the one you play more comps at. That way, any handicap adjustment is more likely to be up to date.

It is up to the player to ensure his handicap is up to date - reductions if appropriate and increases when his Home Club gets round to it.

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
When are golf clubs going to learn..........the most important thing about a golf club is the course, it's been proved time and time again.

This is so true ...

I've cancelled my Membership as I probably spent more time in the bar & restaurant in my club over the past year than on the course!

Currently looking for a change and although I am not 100% on what new course I will join I am 100% sure that the course (and it's playability) HAS to be the most important part of my decision.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This is so true ...

I've cancelled my Membership as I probably spent more time in the bar & restaurant in my club over the past year than on the course!

Currently looking for a change and although I am not 100% on what new course I will join I am 100% sure that the course (and it's playability) HAS to be the most important part of my decision.

I'd counter that proximity is possibly more important; an extra hour to access the other course could get wearing very quickly. In an ideal world there's no way I'd be looking at a club more than 15 minutes from home.

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd counter that proximity is possibly more important; an extra hour to access the other course could get wearing very quickly. In an ideal world there's no way I'd be looking at a club more than 15 minutes from home.

Playability takes that into account, that’s what I meant by it. An hours journey would be too far for most (I know it would be for me!)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH, it would depend on how often you play at your current home club. if its hardly at all then sounds a good idea.

When i was a member at a mediocre parkland i played a lot of opens, but since joining my current club, which is the best for some distance, i play pretty much all but a handful at home.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Leave. It's a tough call, but I think you've only posted the question to get validation for the answer you have. I've got the same situation (almost). Really really want to stay, but the course is not the same one I joined 8 years ago. I also hard that a letter of complaint regarding the state of the course, was sent to the club signed by 30 members last week. This should not have to happen should it? There is a course that is the same distance away from me as my current place that does membership for £225 (for which you get 1000 points and you use these to play). This will leave me with £500 (more if as I have heard subs go up AGAIN!) to use to play were and when I want. (gonna hit online booking).
So to conclude, leave and spend 12 months playing other places. You're handicap stays active for 12 months so you can still enter Opens elsewhere, as I intend to do. Re-assess in 12 months time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Leave. It's a tough call, but I think you've only posted the question to get validation for the answer you have. I've got the same situation (almost). Really really want to stay, but the course is not the same one I joined 8 years ago. I also hard that a letter of complaint regarding the state of the course, was sent to the club signed by 30 members last week. This should not have to happen should it? There is a course that is the same distance away from me as my current place that does membership for £225 (for which you get 1000 points and you use these to play). This will leave me with £500 (more if as I have heard subs go up AGAIN!) to use to play were and when I want. (gonna hit online booking).
So to conclude, leave and spend 12 months playing other places. You're handicap stays active for 12 months so you can still enter Opens elsewhere, as I intend to do. Re-assess in 12 months time.

it only stays active if you are a member of a club, if you leave, thats it handicap done.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

it only stays active if you are a member of a club, if you leave, thats it handicap done.

As Patrick says, you leave a club and don't join another, you don't have a handicap. Even if you managed to bring a handicap certificate with you on leaving, it counts for nothing - you enter an Open, your CDH number says no current handicap.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did not know that. I will be joining somewhere then. Cheers. :thup:

You never know , you might be lucky. When you give up club membership, your club has to remove you from their membership list and update to CDH. In my experience, a fair number of clubs are very lax in doing this, so you could get away with it for some time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comments about home club were me not thinking straight. However it is the home club that carries out handicap reviews and if the handicap that a player takes to a new club is too low for that club they might gat an increase after review.

A player that leaves a club does lose his handicap straight away but it is not totally 'lost'.

REGAINING A HANDICAP
FOLLOWING SUSPENSION AND LOSS OF HANDICAP
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]26.1 A CONGU® Handicap is lost when a player ceases to be a
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Member [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]of an [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Affiliated Club[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]. When a player resigns from a club and joins another there is often a time interval between the two memberships. If the handicap of a player is to be restored within twelve months of the date on which his handicap was lost, or suspended, it must be reinstated at the same handicap the player last held. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Difficult. You've clearly got close ties to the current club but not happy. If you could afford to join both I'd do that and spend most at my time at the new one, going back for the bigger events. If not, take a year away, see how the course plays (and whether they take notice and make adjustments to the set up) and then reassess. Hope you find a solution that works