Medal play - Joke!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've just had captains day non qualifier off yellows stableford, 33 players shot 37 points or better with a winning score of 46 from a 17 hc player. A -0.5 player shot gross 67 for 40 and didn't come in the top 10.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've just had captains day non qualifier off yellows stableford, 33 players shot 37 points or better with a winning score of 46 from a 17 hc player. A -0.5 player shot gross 67 for 40 and didn't come in the top 10.

I'm not sure what point is being made here? The numbers quoted mean it had to be a handicap competition, and therefore (again based on the numbers quoted) the gross 67 would unlikely have won it even if it had been medal play. If that's the case then the argument would be about handicapping rather than format.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I like medal scoring, as a higher handicap player medal scoring can often give me a better chance against the field because for some reason it bothers some folk more when they get a blow-up hole if they are too used to points scoring (especially if they started solidly but drop a big number near the turn) and those players tend to be better golfers than I am

Naturally the above assumes I’m actually playing solidly myself. So if/when that hole comes round where you pop an 8 on a par 4 and I’m off 20, it doesn’t hurt me as much as the same number of shots from a guy playing off 11 or 12 and he has to start chasing birdies while I can keep to the plan and still go after bogeys

Of course on any random day his ability means he can go get those birdies, but this isn't any random day, this is a comp day with card in hand & he's just racked up an 8 on a par 4 ! ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely the bigger question is why was it a non qualifier ? And right now scoring is high because of the conditions of courses

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think Medal Play scoring should be changed so that after your round is over you can choose a hole to drop from your score - maybe one from each nine. Because too often we throw in a terrible hole that messes up an otherwise excellent front nine - or excellent back nine - or excellent round. In this way we remove the need to say 'if it wasn't for the blah on the blah'th hole I'd have shot a blah. It is surely unfair and a misrepresentation of my abilities that just one or two terrible holes can mess things up and give me a score that my golf just doesn't deserve. Now wouldn't that be just great :)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think Medal Play scoring should be changed so that after your round is over you can choose a hole to drop from your score - maybe one from each nine. Because too often we throw in a terrible hole that messes up an otherwise excellent front nine - or excellent back nine - or excellent round. In this way we remove the need to say 'if it wasn't for the blah on the blah'th hole I'd have shot a blah. It is surely unfair and a misrepresentation of my abilities that just one or two terrible holes can mess things up and give me a score that my golf just doesn't deserve. Now wouldn't that be just great :)

Great idea but I would then have 2 shocking holes on each 9! 🙈

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And call it stableford minus?

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe it's just meant to be a fun day. Pressure off, people relax more, play better and enjoy the day more?

All depends on the course being played and HC used - if playing of a measured course with full HC it must be a qualifier