McIlroy

Gary Howlett

Visit site
Am I the only one who is getting really frustrated watching McIlroy play golf these days. Massive talent but doesn't seem to get any better

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike79

Visit site
He’s been fairly strong this year from what I’ve watched but has tailed off in the final day each time he’s been in contention. From yesterday’s start to today it’s been frustrating, yes, but hopefully keeps momentum to close today and a strong day tomorrow…

FELL75

Visit site
He does seem to verge from amazing to crazy sometimes. Frustrating Indeed, but not many other players I'd rather watch..

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I the only one who is getting really frustrated watching McIlroy play golf these days. Massive talent but doesn't seem to get any better
Massive Rory fan but he is soo frustrating . Some of the decisions he makes are bull headed and stubborn.some of his decisions on par 5s are rubbish , Needs to follow DJ lead and practice wedge game .

Diamond

Visit site
He is as good as any other British golfer, I don’t listen to the noise that surrounds him and just watch the golf And quite often he is up there with the best.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So disappointing that he can't seem to string four rounds together regularly enough especially in majors. Does he have another major in him? Not sure especially as the next crop are starting to make their mark

evemccc

Visit site
So disappointing that he can't seem to string four rounds together regularly enough especially in majors. Does he have another major in him? Not sure especially as the next crop are starting to make their mark

Great talent and ‘could’ still win another major - esp with what Phil, Tiger did recently - and what Greg Norman and Tom Watson nearly did in 08 and 09….but my head says it’s unlikely

8 years since he last won and golf seems even more crowded at the very top level these days

Did he not win through hitting the ball a long way? That was always one of his big strengths…yet now there’s loads of elite golfers who have an A1 Driver game

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I get frustrated watching golf. I get frustrated playing golf. Afraid it goes with the territory.

Watching a tournament unfold and getting frustrated with a single player is a sign that that player is a polarizing figure: I used to get frustrated if Reed was doing well; if McIlroy was bad; if Tiger 1.0 was doing well but if Tiger 2.0 was doing bad (imagine I'll be hoping Tiger 3.0 does well); Speith rolling in putts from nowhere was frustrating, now I feel a bit sorry for him. I feel like there's some likeable guys who you like to do well but aren't bothered if they don't (Rose, Stenson, Scott, Xander, etc.) and then there's guys that actively evoke emotion for various reasons (good or bad) - McIlroy is one of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon he needs a proper caddy. When he's on his game, no one comes close. :sneaky: #threadbingo

More seriously though, he just seems to try too hard. If he played at 95% all the time he'd probably win loads of events, but it's always 110% with him. Go for every shot and leave himself in some silly positions. Try and outdrive everyone, which scuppers one of the best parts of his game. I don't find him frustrating as I'm not a huge fan so don't really care if he wins. I find it amusing just how many times he'll throw in a shocker of a round, like a 78 to open a major, then makes the cut, shoots 62 on the last day when he's just out of contention. Or vice versa, keep himself in the hunt and then a disappointing 75 on Sunday. And I still think it all comes back to trying to hard, if he played within himself he probably shoots 67-68 more often than not.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Nothing summed him up better than this week. After day one screaming headlines of 'he's back to his best!', three days later 'he's gone!' I do think he's on the way up again but his 'best on the day' is no longer on a par with Rahm and co.