Maybe a silly question!

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Got custom fit and got my irons last week. Their 1/2 inch longer and green dot which is 2.25 degrees upright. This is where i might sound silly. With regards to the 1/2 inch longer, does this change my setup, for example do i stand slightly further away or hold the club further down the grip? Ive had a few range sessions and each time this has been going through my head as ive thinned a few!

Thanks in advance

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The theory behind custom fitting is to fit your clubs more accurately to your stance and swing - so just do what you were doing before!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Did you try the Green Dots when you were fit?

If so, did the feel/perform as expected? Were they checked on a Lie Board?

What do you mean be 'a few'? 1 in 5? 1 in 20?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a h/cap golfer mis hitting 1 in 15 is always likely! dont worry about it just try to build your confidence and enjoy the new shineys.
Forget about the extra 1/2 inch, and play your normal game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As said 1/15 is pretty good. That's probably 1 or 2 round - 36 putts; 14 Driver/wood being the majority of shots.

I believe the less you think about your swing, the better it will be!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The theory behind custom fitting is to fit your clubs more accurately to your stance and swing - so just do what you were doing before!

So what if I change my stance and swing? I struggle with the concept of us handicappers (let's say Cat2 and Cat3) having anything near consistent enough in stance and swing to make custom fitting relevant.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what if I change my stance and swing? I struggle with the concept of us handicappers (let's say Cat2 and Cat3) having anything near consistent enough in stance and swing to make custom fitting relevant.

in fairness a huge number of those golfers have a consistent address position, and most seniors (and a lot are in that category) are remarkably consistent with their swings too!

I think Ping got it about right with the level of 'fit' they provide within their iron range - in relaton to physical attributes and basic stance.

The corollary is that Mizuno have managed a similar thing for shafts with their little 'gismo'.

A good demo day will get you in the right ball park with your woods.....

basic job done :)

or you can get fully custom fitted!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
in fairness a huge number of those golfers have a consistent address position, and most seniors (and a lot are in that category) are remarkably consistent with their swings too!

I think Ping got it about right with the level of 'fit' they provide within their iron range - in relaton to physical attributes and basic stance.

The corollary is that Mizuno have managed a similar thing for shafts with their little 'gismo'.

A good demo day will get you in the right ball park with your woods.....

basic job done :)

or you can get fully custom fitted!

I am sure you are right - I am just too cycnical and imagine it a ploy to get money out of us gullible golfers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A change of stance would have an effect on the fit - so lie should be checked evey now and then. It's no real surprise that the body adjusts to the need to have clubs slightly longer or shorter pretty well though.

You would need to change swing pretty dramatically to really have an effect on the appropriateness of shafts. A significant difference in the transition or through the impact zone could well alter the fit. Obviously, the time for largest likelihood of change is at the early stages of learning golf. That's why the static fit that Ping do and a 'ball-park' check on swing speed/style is all that can/should be done at that stage.

I suspect there's at least 1 instance in this forum where a significant change in swing has indeed caused a valid custom fit to become no longer an appropriate fit!