Maximum Handicap Vs Pace of Play

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Club comps should have 3 time divisions.
1st division out first..... under 3 1/2 hours
2nd division out next......3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours
3rd Division out last....over 4 1/2 hours

Sprinters shoot off into the distance (happy)
Medium group not held up (happy)
Slow group take their time (happy).

Problems only occur when slow and fast players are mixed up.

My biggest gripe is when quick players tell slow players to hurry up.

Like it.
Only problem is that I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't think we should be in the fast group, they should be in the slow group ... :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as others have said the problem is some are not ready to play when its their turn, don't let faster groups through and are unaware and incondiderate of others on the course.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Like it.
Only problem is that I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't think we should be in the fast group, they should be in the slow group ... :)

If a slow player thinks he should be in the fast groups, let him try it and see how he enjoys being harrassed all the way round. He'll soon change to a group that plays at a speed that is comfortable to him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Club comps should have 3 time divisions.
1st division out first..... under 3 1/2 hours
2nd division out next......3 1/2 - 4 1/2 hours
3rd Division out last....over 4 1/2 hours

Sprinters shoot off into the distance (happy)
Medium group not held up (happy)
Slow group take their time (happy).

Problems only occur when slow and fast players are mixed up.

My biggest gripe is when quick players tell slow players to hurry up.
You say this every time, but the problem is nobody admits to being slow so you'd have no people in those groups. :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But then handicap does have something to do with it...?

I've started putting with a line on my ball. I hate how much time it takes to get right, but I am now putting so much better than before. Eg I played 9 the other night and had only 13 putts, whereas before I would have been very happy with 15. It is a fine line between taking too long and rushing, but then adding shots to the score if you don't feel right...

But you're bang on about other things that all of us can control - being ready for your shot, putting your bag in the right place, taking your 9-iron AND putter with you when chipping so you don't have to go back to your bag again, etc.

And something that gets my goat - players not hitting provisionals in a medal, when the shot they've just hit is 'probably alright'... If you have any doubt, hit another. It takes 30 seconds max, but will probably save 5 minutes if you don't find your first ball and have to walk back.
Well yes handicap does have a bearing purely by number of shots.
But that’s not slow play as such
One problem for me and it’s happening now at my club.
Golfers used to learn the game at the local muni. Driving range ,pitch and putt.
It took time to learn to a reasonable standard before a club would entertain letting you join.
But now a lot of people just join private clubs with minimal experience of playing the game, it’s about money!!
So they are learning on a much tougher course .
The 54 handicap has helped this imo.
36 should be maximum nobody should need 3 shots a hole.
Maybe they should at least be 28 to enter a comp!
Just like I can’t enter scratch comps because I am not good enough to qualify.
So that distinction already exists

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know how other clubs run their comps, but ours are split into handicap divisions, so the lows, mids and highs aren't competing against each other.

We are the same except for comps with a trophy.

For singles play the prize money is still in divisions but the trophy goes to the player with the best nett/gross. With pairs trophy comps it is based upon team scores with no divisions.