Maxfli Persimmon Woods

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, I have just acquired a set of 1, 3 & 5 of the above clubs, in their box, grips still shrink wrapped, heads in bubble wrap and appear to never have been used, any kind soul out there who can direct me where I can get some info on them.

are they still made ? or an old set that has never been opened used, was intending to give them a try but they are just too nice to use by me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would seriously doubt that Maxfli Persimmon woods would currently be made under that name.

The Maxfli company which probably made these was taken over by TaylorMade Addidas.

D

Deleted member 18588

Maxfli was part of the Dunlop Sporting Goods brand some of whose activities were taken on by Srixon.

In the States they became a part of the TaylorMade group for five years before being sold to Dicks Sporting Gooods.

For a number of years they had principally been a ball company but back in the 70's and 80's they produced some superb clubs.

If the woods you have acquired are what I think they are then they will be around 30 years old. They we're, however, terrific in their day and should still play well now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are thinking of using these be very careful what ball you use.
I think they were made for the small 1.62 ball.
They may not be strong enough to withstand the modern ball , it’s much harder now.

I had a set of these, they are things of beauty.
Along with the eye o matic Magregors they were one of the top drivers.

D

Deleted member 18588

If you are thinking of using these be very careful what ball you use.
I think they were made for the small 1.62 ball.
They may not be strong enough to withstand the modern ball , it’s much harder now.

I had a set of these, they are things of beauty.
Along with the eye o matic Magregors they were one of the top drivers.

People used these to hit Pinnacle and Top Flite so I can't see there being any difficulty in dealing with the modern ball.

The ball these days is often a lower compression.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Crow will be along soon, swooning over these. :whoo: :swing:

Swoon.... :D.
A very nice find sir!

Maxfli was part of the Dunlop Sporting Goods brand some of whose activities were taken on by Srixon.

In the States they became a part of the TaylorMade group for five years before being sold to Dicks Sporting Gooods.

For a number of years they had principally been a ball company but back in the 70's and 80's they produced some superb clubs.

If the woods you have acquired are what I think they are then they will be around 30 years old. They we're, however, terrific in their day and should still play well now.

Agree pretty much with the above, I'd guess that if they were made for UK sale then they'll also have Dunlop on them somewhere.
Probably sold around the time of the Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades and Revolution irons, 1980s would be my guess at a year but a picture would help. (And get me swooning again...)

Re balls, you'll be fine with 1.68", I tend to play softer compression balls with my wooden woods but Pro V or similar balls should be fine.

Value wise, the market for these great clubs is depressingly small but as an unplayed boxed set you might find buyers on eBay who'd be willing to bid £50 to £100 or so.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Forgot to add, my advice would be to get yourself a set of similar period irons and a putter and go out and enjoy yourself playing proper golf. :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would add they were probably the woods played by Seve back in days when he played Maxfli/Slazenger.

The bit about the balls is rubbish, I started to play in the late 70s and was using a 1.68 ball then and it was the standard ball size in the USA long before then.

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
Forgot to add, my advice would be to get yourself a set of similar period irons and a putter and go out and enjoy yourself playing proper golf. :)

Proper golf can be painful, I let the australian blades out of the attic if I want to punish myself for bad ball striking. Catch those bad boys wrong and you know about it.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And post some pics

Thanks to all for info - have tried to post pics but obviously haven`t got the hand of new technology (my mobile takes/makes phone calls)
and gave up trying.
however have decided to pass them on and are for sale, on you know where, if you want to have a look at pics of them/persimmon woods.