Matchplay

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a club comp last week and i had to give 7 shots to a player playing off 27, thus i was playing off scratch. i was however miffed to find my self 5 holes in a 5 holes down and my score was +1! I went on to lose the match, however i feel that in matchplay, it should be a match and no allowences should be given, it should be a match against players abilitys. what does anyone think?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No. The thing with golf is that anyone can play anyone, and have a competitive match, because of the handicap system. This is a great concept, and is one of the things that makes golf unique.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
that is true however the problem arises when there are those players without true handicaps and shoot incredibly low scores. this is extremly frustrating when you are playing someone that you know you can beat but their handicap is wrong for the ability that they have and you lose. as a low handicapper my self i dont fear losing as it helps me inprove my game but it would be nice to win once in a while.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Whilst I wouldn't call 20 low, I understand your arguement that the handicap system does rely on accuracy to work.

However, one thing you need to understand is that most high handicappers are quite capable of putting an amazing score together, particularly in matchplay where you can ignore the odd treble.
This doesn't make their handicap wrong, they are just having a hot day. It is not necessarily cheating.

I play off 12 (mid handicap), and can shoot anything between 75 (best score) and 103 (most recent nightmare). As a result of this, if I play a low handicap golfer (played a 2 recently and got 10 shots) on a hot day, then he will get walloped (he did). I have played off 12 for 15 years, my handicap is not wrong.

D

Deleted member 1147

The great thing about golf is that handicaps make the game equal for all people no matter what the age, sex, physical ability etc.

As such we should play all competitions, except scratch cups, net.

Most clubs do also award prizes for best gross of course.

Matchplay, as Murph says, can be very tough for a low handicapper such as yourself ;)!

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In matchplay you often find players of all abilities play better due to not having a medal card in their hand and knowing at worst they will only lose a hole if they have the odd nightmare.

Low handicappers do generally have play to or below their handicaps in matchplay comps due to the number of shots they are giving away, but it is by no means unfair, it's just golf.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Matchplay is mano V mano and some players perform better in matchplay than in strokeplay. I have received and given shots in matchplay and have lost and won in both games. It comes down to the day.

The trick is not to get too up when ahead nor to get too down when behind.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like a good Matchplay game. I play both strokes given/taken and against many players without strokes. Two different games, the second usually between mates of similar h'cap.
Often, the better player will play good and lose....that's the way the cookie crumbles. If I may say so, I think you did yourself in the minute you thought you had "no shots" i.e. felt as if you were "off scratch". Best way is to forget all the shots business and play your own game, sure you'll lose some holes with nice solid pars.....but that's the game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I also think it boils down to how often a player actually defends his handicap. We have a number of players at our club that will only play stableford events where a bad hole is not a disaster and will never play medal events.

As a result they always hang around the buffer zone and maybe go up 0.1 withthe occasional cut by maybe 0.2 or 0.3 but there handicap rarely moves much over the year because in my mind they are not defending it properly. You get drawn against them in a matchplay and you know full well they are playing to anything between 12 and 15 but get the extra couple of shots which is usually the difference in these sort of games.

There have been mutterings about it in the past but as they are playing the stipulated number of club qualifying matches every year by entering the monthly stableford there is nothing that the club can do.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, interesting....

If some players don't play medals, surely the "protection" is to avoid the horrible consequence of not managing a good medal score. In this case, by NOT entering 12 monthly medals, are they not actually avoiding going up 0.1 on 12 occasions....this must be good if you meet them in a matchplay.....??

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dave,

The point is, they aren't good enough to stop the 8's and 9's in medals and so don't enter out of fear of embarrassment. All they do is creep around the buffer or just outside and get 0.1 back knowing that at worse they will be a shot worse off after 10 rounds. They are all 18-23 handicappers who as I mentioned before are really 12-15. They all go out each weekend in their little greedy and they all manage to get 38-42 points regularly. I think that at least one different member of their little group per year has been in the semi's or final and three of their group have won it in the last 5 years.

The thing is we have some tasty players in this cup (county, scratch and low single figures) and given the recent stats showing a good un will beat a higher handicapped good un more often than not, it does smell a bit strange. I'm not the only one to have voiced my concerns!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a work society matchplay next Friday, my opponent is off 8.

This will be only my second matchplay game, lost the first 6&5 against the guy who got me started in golf, at his course and he's also off 8. Did OK up to the turn then fell apart.

(we 'draw' for where we play (and share costs) but as mine is 25 miles north of work . . .)

This time we're at a 'neutral' course. I've played it once, don't really remember it but I like playing at new courses. If I can keep up this weeks form he might have to work for it!

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the CONGU directive that came in this year, stating that full handicap difference (not 3/4 as it was) is to be used in matchplay was a bad mistake. The old 3/4 rule effectively compensated the low handicapper for the 7's, 8's and 9's that the high handicapper would have in medals that would not be as damaging in matchplay. The Matchplay comps at my club all seem to be won by hackers now, rather than a fair mix of handicaps as it used to be.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the CONGU directive that came in this year, stating that full handicap difference (not 3/4 as it was) is to be used in matchplay was a bad mistake. The old 3/4 rule effectively compensated the low handicapper for the 7's, 8's and 9's that the high handicapper would have in medals that would not be as damaging in matchplay. The Matchplay comps at my club all seem to be won by hackers now, rather than a fair mix of handicaps as it used to be.

I reckon you are bang on the button with this comment.