Matchplay tips

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m new to club membership, and entered the high handicap (19+) summer knockout comp. Mainly I want to dip my toe into the world of competitions, to feel the fear of a match, and to start to get to know some people. I’m not especially competitive but would like to feel I do myself justice, and give a decent game to my opponent(s? - if I win a round or two), especially bearing in mind in some cases I may be given 9-10 shots (hopefully some general play cards will bring me down a bit more) as my handicap is at the higher end of the range of those entered (though not the highest!).

What are your key matchplay tips for me to make the most of it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't worry about your score. It doesn't matter if you birdie a hole or take 10, all that matters is you take 1 shot less than your opponent.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just play your normal game, go out and enjoy it. Don’t take it too seriously.
On the playing side, make sure you use your extra shots and don’t try and out drive your opponent If he is a big hitter

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Higher handicap? Then the aim is bogey golf and not gifting holes by taking huge scores on holes. No hero shots. Putt instead of chipping if you can.

1. Keep the ball in play (hit the shortest club that will enable you to do the next 2 steps)
2. Hit the green 1 over regulation (so middle of the green in 2 on a par 3; middle of the green in 3 on a par 4 etc). This means that you need to talk yourself out of hero shots. Play the odds.
3. Concentrate on the putts- make sure you get down in two

If you play to +18, you'll be in a great chance of beating anyone in the comp. Plus, playing in a strategic (boring?) way will take some of the fear out of play.

Enjoy! Matchplay is awesome.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just because your opponent has a lower handicap than you don't assume they will not duff a shot or make a stupid mistake. Everyone can suffer from nerves.

It is NEVER over till it's over - even if you're 4 down after 9 it's amazing how often matches turn around.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At all times play the shot that you know that you have the greatest chance of playing well (aka not messing up), and that will give you the easiest next shot.

See for example @virtuocity above advising you to putt when off the green when ever you can rather than chip. You are unlikely to seriously mess up (eg thin) a putt from off the green and, no matter what, your next shot is almost certainly going to be a putt - and a putt is always easier or less risky than a chip.

When you have a shot on a hole try and not waste it - and so do not play more risky shots unless no alternative (rare). There is no need to be fearless...just be sensible and pragmatic about your abilities.

And note well @IanG comment #5 above, never truer words spoken about matchplay.

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
See for example @virtuocity above advising you to putt when off the green when ever you can rather than chip. You are unlikely to seriously mess up (eg thin) a putt from off the green and, no matter what, your next shot is almost certainly going to be a putt - and a putt is always easier or less risky than a chip.

On my tree-lined course (and being rubbish) I have become quite adept at putting from under trees back on to the fairway instead of over/under-hitting chips.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On my tree-lined course (and being rubbish) I have become quite adept at putting from under trees back on to the fairway instead of over/under-hitting chips.
You‘re at ER? Now as you know you just shouldn‘t have had these trees planted 40yrs ago. IMO your track was the better before and without them - still got a most lovely track of course.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all. Some really helpful tips there. I'm going to have a 9-hole warm up against a very experienced mate who's in the club scratch team next week as well. He was singing the praises of matchplay golf, an I am really looking forward to it, even if my time in the knockout competition is over by the end of the 10th hole rather than lasting until finals day at the start of October!

IslaG

Visit site
Get your experienced match play friend to run over some of the key rules where match and stroke play differ ( eg playing out of turn, recalling a shot, giving right number of strokes) and don’t forget you can practice on the course beforehand !

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Matchplay is brilliant. It is 18 games within a game. Every hole is an individual chance to shine. Play a medal or a Stableford, shoot a 10 on each of the first three holes and basically you're stuffed. Your medal card is wrecked, and you're hardly going to win the Stableford with 0 points after 3 holes.
But in matchplay?? You're 3 down. Beat your opponent on the 4th and you're only 2 down. Win the next and game on.
I was 3 down with 3 to play to a good mate of mine the other week. I won the last 3 holes to square the match. That was as good as a win for me. I felt right chuffed that I'd pulled it back from the brink. A match isn't over until it's over.
The only other golden rule I would give is.................. never, (ever), assume your opponent is out of the hole. I've ended up halving or worst still losing holes in the past by assuming this. A chip in or an unbelievable putt from your opponent can turn a hole as quick as anything.