Matchplay query

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t think this’ll fall under Rules but looking for suggestions given the experience you guys have. Treat as hypothetical based on the below scenario as I'm not sure I have full info anyway
  • 1st round Matchplay tie between Player A and B
  • Winner will play Player C in round 2
  • Neither player A or B makes contact with each other to arrange the tie
  • For whatever reason Player C arranges 2nd round tie with Player B
  • Player B agrees date/time etc for 2nd round tie
  • Player C fails to show for the 2nd round tie with Player B, Player B claims the tie
  • Player A now queries the status of the un-played 1st round tie with Player B
  • Player B believes they are into round 3
  • No written rules in the conditions of comp to state who should contact who to arrange a match
For info; Coin toss is normally used to decide ties where neither player is available, if only one player unavailable then they would concede

Suggestions on how the committee might proceed please?
(I guess covering the steps to arrange a tie etc in the conditions of comp would be first suggestion but lets assume that it isn't listed)

Thanks in advance

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The simplest thing would be toss of the coin between A and B the winner going through to the third round on the assumption that the closing date for the second round has passed. If not the winner should play C.

One point is why A did not question procedure on the close by date assuming that B v C s arranged date was after the closure date for the first round.

As you say the committee should proceed by developing rules for the future so that this cannot happen again.

For club comps we have toss of the coin done by the office without either player needing to be there.

I know clubs that have toss of the coin, some that have if a player is stood on the tee at 2pm on the last day for the round then they win and first named player must offer 3 dates and if the second player does not respond the first named player wins.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The simplest thing would be toss of the coin between A and B the winner going through to the third round on the assumption that the closing date for the second round has passed. If not the winner should play C.

One point is why A did not question procedure on the close by date assuming that B v C s arranged date was after the closure date for the first round.

As you say the committee should proceed by developing rules for the future so that this cannot happen again.

For club comps we have toss of the coin done by the office without either player needing to be there.

I know clubs that have toss of the coin, some that have if a player is stood on the tee at 2pm on the last day for the round then they win and first named player must offer 3 dates and if the second player does not respond the first named player wins.

With previous precedent meaning time extensions are not at all uncommon I deliberately left out any referral to the dates thinking this might just confuse things

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have a challenge book in our locker room, where the top name in the draw player A must offer player B 3 dates spread over at least 10 days 1 date has to be a the weekend day.
Player B must reply in the book [ next to the challenge ] what date suits him if any, it's up to player A to check if any date has been accepted, and be there on time to play.
Player A is entitled to put his name through if player B doesn't reply or turn up.
Most will leave a contact number but it's not a must.

I stopped entering match play events years ago there's too much skulduggery and excuses .
One guy wanted to play 9 holes one week then 9 holes the next week.
or sorry i'm on holiday that fortnight, or i can only play at x times because work shifts or baby sitting, plus lots more excuses.
Why some bother to enter i don't know.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Player Bs fixture with C has no basis, and therefore can be ignored.

As written the committee simply has to resolve whether A or B formally advances, or neither. If neither then C advances to 3rd round.

Personally I prefer appropriate flexibility, but then you have to be prepared to make real decisions. Without any timelines it's difficult to comment but if neither A nor B had made any contact prior to their tie deadline I would be strongly inclined to advance C and be done with it.

Good luck.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thanks guys

Despite the obvious downside I think pistols might be less messy but Duncan's post certainly seems to bear a lot of logic (although not sure that has a place among amateur golfers!)