Matchplay or Strokeplay

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In view of the current world matchplay and I believe the article in last months GM, what do you prefer -

Matchplay or Strokeplay.

For the first yr ever I have made the representative team for my home club and have taken part in 11 matches this yr, and have played both friendlies and Merit League games.

To cut a long story short I have won them all this yr playing off 12 and unbelievably have beaten some pretty decent lads along the way a couple of 3/4 handicappers included.

I really enjoy the feeling of battling away against one guy, and feel that the game is as much about getting into the other guys head as well as contrlloing my own game, which believe me is a challenge in itself.

However against that in the strokeplay comps I never really feel that I fair that well, this yr have had 1 win, 1 top 5 finish but the rest (approx 10-12) have been mid-lower ranked in the field.

What do you guys think???

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think matchplay encourages a more attacking style of golf as one bad hole does not ruin a round. Certainly, as we are both beginners, my mate and I play matchplay (though we keep our scores for reference) so as if we forget how to hit a ball for a couple of holes (and that does still happen) it will not ruin the round or the competition as to who pays for the bacon sandwiches.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Strokeplay the real mans game, no picking up balls after 7 shots etc, as difficult as it is sometimes, its the only real test of golf and nerve, all the higher handicappers at our club were complaining that we only had around 1 in 6 saturdays playing stableford.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not so keen on matchplay. As a steady player, I tend to get beaten by bandits who play off 15 because they have blow-outs too much. With stoke play, you can both win (if you both make a good score) whereas in matchplay, unless you 1/2 the match someone ends up feeling glum.....

Having said all that, I did make the semi final of my club scratch matchplay once (off 8!) so I've had my share of successful ding dongs.

Dave

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Stroke play is good once a month to have to put a card together, and it is very satisfying to do this, when you do it well.

But, I have to go for match play for the shear fun of it. Saturday morning four ball, fighting it out for bragging rights in the bar, all the banter and mickey taking. Golf as it should be. Fun and fast.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Each have their merits - Strokeplay is my preferred format though as it requires a solid 18 holes and come the end whoevers on top deserves to be there.

For those who prefer Matchplay and feel it helps them play better, when playing a medal, keep note yourself and 'play' against one of your playing partners. The main issue being you can't just pick up if having a bad hole.

calc07

Hacker
Visit site
i have to say i prefer matchplay becaues if u have a bad hole u still have a chance in the game and u can just put it behind u, whereas with strokeplay one bad hole could ruin your card, and this plays on ur mind for the rest of the round then. But strokeplay does give a better view of your game and shows whethere u r as good as u think u r!! stroke play has nocked me off my high horse a few times i must admit

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
Stroke play is good once a month to have to put a card together, and it is very satisfying to do this, when you do it well.

But, I have to go for match play for the shear fun of it. Saturday morning four ball, fighting it out for bragging rights in the bar, all the banter and mickey taking. Golf as it should be. Fun and fast.

Completely agree, our Saturday is always a 4 ball matchplay, Sunday is strokeplay

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Strokeplay is the real game. Every shot counts and every mistake is shown on the card. This is why almost all pro tournaments are 72 holes of strokeplay.