Match Play

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive no idea what your handicap is, but what if someone was say giving you 5 or more shots would you make them hole 1 to 2ft putts?
Perhaps I have a different outlook, but I consider the handicap and shots given to be the leveller on our play, therefore in my head we are equal. For that reason I treat everyone with the same approach, and reason they want to win as much as I do, all within the spirit and rules of the game.:)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There can't be much better advice for my money than to start well. Go out to win the first, if you win the first tee it up to win the second. If you keep that mentality going you will be hard to beat, even if you find yourself down (which you will against people who are playing well, or having a bit of luck, or maybe you're not quite on it - it'll happen and the trick is to get back level - don't panic). Some people wait to settle into the match, by which time they're 3 down and whilst no deficit is unrecoverable until it's over, it's statistically very unlikely that you'll claw it back as you run out of holes.

I believe in this so much that when I had time a few years ago I started heading down to the course an hour or so before my match and playing the first hole, taking a few putts from different sides of the hole (if no one was behind me). I'm not a great putter but I made a fair few long-ish birdies and a lot of pars on that first hole and it sets the tone for the match, oppo thinks "he can putt" and maybe gives you ones you're glad of. I won our club KO comp that year, my first (and only) time on the board!

Was watching Poults at the WGC Matchplay and Nick D asked him for one piece of advice, to which he said, get off to a hot start and keep the gas down. So do that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Perhaps I have a different outlook, but I consider the handicap and shots given to be the leveller on our play, therefore in my head we are equal. For that reason I treat everyone with the same approach, and reason they want to win as much as I do, all within the spirit and rules of the game.:)

so yes then:rofl::rofl::rofl:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First and foremost go out and enjoy the challenge. You can only control your own ball so don't overly worry about what your opponent may or may not do although when on the green I tend to adopt the mindset they are going to hole each putt. If they do, then it's not come as a surprise and if not I know I may (dependant naturally on how I've played the hole to date) have a chance to make one and change the outcome

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If any of you play Patrick in a match expect to give him ten footers, as he expected us to give him them last week :whistle:

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a low handicap golfer if i am giving you a shot on 13/18 holes then i need you to make some mistakes.
So if you keep it in play and bogey a hole with your shot i have to birdie to beat you on most holes.
My advice is to do what you can to keep it in play, do not take on any shot that you cannot pull off with 90% confidence.
Good luck.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Here's an example from Saturday, wasn't match play but could've easy been. 18th, I rip a drive, mate hooks one left, it's a dogleg right, he's miles back, knocks a 3 wood on the green, I've got a 9 iron, knocks it on the green, he holes his putt, I three dab, true story, had that been match play standing over our second shots all square, I'd have been telling myself, easy par to win...tis a funny ole game I tell thee.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If any of you play Patrick in a match expect to give him ten footers, as he expected us to give him them last week :whistle:

10 feet!!!! are you sure its wasn't a fishing forum you were on???:rofl::rofl:

more like two, not used to those slow bumpy parkland greens you guys are so familiar with;)

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Always mark your ball on the green - do not hole out!
Use your shots wisely! Play the percentages! bogey will halve the hole the majority of the time!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the comments all. I have played alongside the guy I am playing on Friday in a couple of competitions in the past and he's a decent chap. Looks like it could be wet.

I'll let you know how I get on.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your opponent hits first and goes OOB etc then your tee shot is not for distance. It’s for position.

Too many times I’ve followed someone OOB with a hybrid as I tried to hit the skin off it.

Play it like it’s a par 3 tee shot for that club.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
By way of update I got a bye in the first round of the club knockout as my opponent had to pull out at the last minute.

My first knockout match was in our seniors match play comp, which I played last Monday against a guy playing off of 17. I started very well, being 5 under handicap after just 4 holes and 3up. My PP commented that he could believe that he had lost the 4th (SI 2) after we both parred it. Give a hole back at the 6th when we could find a drive only slightly offline, but came off of the 8th 5up.

My PP then upped his game and won 4 of the next five holes and I only halved the 210 yard par 3 12th with a par. Stood on the 14th just 1up and somewhat worried that I was going to surrender what was a good lead, but a win on 14 and a short missed putt by my PP on 15 enabled me to close out the game 3&2 on the 16th. Lesson learnt that the game is not over at 5up as only a small loss of focus in my play let my opponent back in.

On Friday, had my second round match in the general club knockout. Was up against a 3 handicap who had scored 39 points in the last qualifier so I knew I was up against it. Was 1up after 3, but my driving which has been good all year to date developed a slice, and I struggled to get up and down from around the greens, and ultimately did well to take the game as far as the 15th. The bonus was a lesson from my PP as we played in on 16, 17 and 18. He suggested leaving the driver in the bag and just using irons off of the tee as a way to bring the handicap down. I am going to give a try soon to see how I get on.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Best practice for matchplay is playing matches - but if you seriously want to practice matchplay take yourself out on the course by yourself and play a round of bogey. In a bogey competition you are playing matchplay against the course - what this is is (if you don't know) that when you stand on a tee your opponent (the course) has already got his par. What this means is that if you do not get a shot on the hole (usual way - assume you get your full handicap) and so for you to get a half you have to get a gross par. If you have a shot then a gross one-over on the hole will get you a half - and a gross par will get you a win. And you can work out how you lose a hole :)

You score yourself against the course. The only difference in the scoring in a Bogey Comp is that you play all 18. A winning score will find you 1 Up, 2 up etc and you do well to be better than 4 Up.

I actually enjoy the format - but it is very hard.

Last edited: