Match play knock outs... Can they be too friendly?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got the next round of our matchplay singles tomorrow and I'm kinda gutted to have to play a good mate at the club, it is what it is and we are having some banter in our chats., but today he suggested that we get a buggy in our match as it's after work and we will get round quicker,

I said I'd let him know but to me it's not a bounce game, it's a comp man against man with the course as a ref.... And best man to win. I'm kinda leaning against the buggy option think it will just make the match a bit too casual and given this is the 1/4 finals I think it should be treated as a serious comp?

What's your thoughts.

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Technically, I thought you couldn't use a buggy for competition play unless you have a medical certificate?

I know this is 2 men in matchplay (so may be different rule) but if you do not want to be too casual without upsetting him you could maybe try this route?

D

Deleted member 15344

Technically, I thought you couldn't use a buggy for competition play unless you have a medical certificate?

I know this is 2 men in matchplay (so may be different rule) but if you do not want to be too casual without upsetting him you could maybe try this route?

Think that's the medical rule for buggies is all down to each clubs own LR

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think we have a local rule saying buggies allowed in comps.

Maybe over friendly is too strong but I think it's nice to have a time where you can focus the on the shot in hand and assess the conditions and for me that's walking to my ball.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd want to enjoy it, chat etc but ......... I'd want to win and I hate buggy golf, so, no buggy for me

Good luck Baz!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe you could take a leaf out of Homers book and be friendly all the way round but as soon as you do the Velcro on the glove up you are 'in the zone'.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Too friendly is both taking 'relief' in the trees together

Sharing a buggy is hardly a road trip to everlasting friendship (unless you hang off the front of it together like that scene from titanic :p )

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got the next round of our matchplay singles tomorrow and I'm kinda gutted to have to play a good mate at the club, it is what it is and we are having some banter in our chats., but today he suggested that we get a buggy in our match as it's after work and we will get round quicker,

I said I'd let him know but to me it's not a bounce game, it's a comp man against man with the course as a ref.... And best man to win. I'm kinda leaning against the buggy option think it will just make the match a bit too casual and given this is the 1/4 finals I think it should be treated as a serious comp?

What's your thoughts.

No buggy.
Mate or no mate its bragging rights.
Enjoy and have a good game.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site

What's your thoughts.

You've changed..... :rofl:

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've played matches against mates where I'm sure I've lost concentration because of the conversation or not kept my game head on......but so what? Probably enjoyed the matches more than some I've won with a dour opponent. Same for both at the end of the day.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played matches against mates where I'm sure I've lost concentration because of the conversation or not kept my game head on......but so what? Probably enjoyed the matches more than some I've won with a dour opponent. Same for both at the end of the day.

Likewise for me, tend to end up treating it much the same as a bounce game which is not good if you want to progress in the competition! But, yes, I always enjoy them.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try to win regardless of whether I am playing against a friend.

If its a club knockout there is a far chance this will happen.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand how people get distracted by it being too friendly? Unless they are cracking jokes on your backswing then surely you are concentrating on each shot when your playing it?

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When you see Garcia and McIlroy having a chat along the way I don't think you can consider your competition serious enough not to be friendly with who you're playing with! End of the day, hit your shots and enjoy the company.