Match Play and Stroke Play Comps in same round

bunkerblaster

Visit site
R&A seem to have reluctantly accepted that MP and SP comp rounds can be played at the same time. I would personally prefer they were kept separate. However I would be grateful for views and rules on the matter. My take is that rules of MP take precedence over the other format. As such the player who is furthest away from the pin plays first, putts should not be putted out unless the MP putt is conceded. If I am correct, how does this fit with ready golf? And if you agree to play ready golf then a player can putt out without a concession on the green. If there was a 3 or 4 group but only two were playing MP then my view would be they could play ready golf if they wish, but the two involved in the MP contest should respect the rules of MP?

wjemather

Visit site
R&A seem to have reluctantly accepted that MP and SP comp rounds can be played at the same time. I would personally prefer they were kept separate. However I would be grateful for views and rules on the matter. My take is that rules of MP take precedence over the other format. As such the player who is furthest away from the pin plays first, putts should not be putted out unless the MP putt is conceded. If I am correct, how does this fit with ready golf? And if you agree to play ready golf then a player can putt out without a concession on the green. If there was a 3 or 4 group but only two were playing MP then my view would be they could play ready golf if they wish, but the two involved in the MP contest should respect the rules of MP?
Per The R&A Committee Procedures 6C (12): "...it is recommended that the players be advised that the Rules for stroke play apply throughout." Essentially, not adhering to stroke play rules could result in DQ from the competition. Also, per CONGU handicapping guidance: "If such practice is sanctioned, the Rules of the stroke play event must prevail in order for the score to be acceptable for handicapping purposes."

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re the question about Ready Golf in matchplay. A player can agree with the opponent to play out of order but this should be done on a shot by shot basis.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, especially Jim. I am fully aware that you have to abide by stroke play rules for it to count for handicapping. Jim`s response covers both fairway and green situations. Player A is on the green for two, so is Player B, no player receives a shot Player A has a 25 foot putt, Player B has a 5 foot putt. Player A putts and leaves it 3 foot past the hole, walks up says "I`ll finish" and knocks it in. I would suggest (and state) "that is ok for stroke play but I did not concede in match play please replace your marker and wait for me to putt". I fully understand that rules of stroke play have to be observed but so do the rules of match play.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I read it as if you are playing in a stroke play competition this is the primary competition and the match play is a private side competition.

Out of respect for the other players in your group you should agree to waive match play rules if they would cause undue delay.

bunkerblaster

Visit site
Thanks. In our club the blue riband event is the individual KO tournament. I do not agree with playing MP and SP in the same round and try to avoid it. I will try to play on a separate day. Edit, or more likely not bother in the first place.

Swango1980

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, especially Jim. I am fully aware that you have to abide by stroke play rules for it to count for handicapping. Jim`s response covers both fairway and green situations. Player A is on the green for two, so is Player B, no player receives a shot Player A has a 25 foot putt, Player B has a 5 foot putt. Player A putts and leaves it 3 foot past the hole, walks up says "I`ll finish" and knocks it in. I would suggest (and state) "that is ok for stroke play but I did not concede in match play please replace your marker and wait for me to putt". I fully understand that rules of stroke play have to be observed but so do the rules of match play.
The R&A state:

"If a Committee chooses to allow players to play a match while competing in a stroke-play competition, it is recommended that the players be advised that the Rules for stroke play apply throughout. For example, no concessions are allowed and if one player plays out of turn, the other does not have the option of recalling the stroke"

So, both players will first have to be in agreement that they are combining both forms of play. If so, then they are effectively playing Stroke Play rules whilst recording hole wins/losses after holing out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
[QUOTE="Swango1980, post: 2347413, member: 26510"then they are effectively playing Stroke Play rules whilst recording hole wins/losses after holing out.[/QUOTE]
That is worth paying attention to. No gimmes even after the hole is won or lost.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A state:

"If a Committee chooses to allow players to play a match while competing in a stroke-play competition, it is recommended that the players be advised that the Rules for stroke play apply throughout. For example, no concessions are allowed and if one player plays out of turn, the other does not have the option of recalling the stroke"

So, both players will first have to be in agreement that they are combining both forms of play. If so, then they are effectively playing Stroke Play rules whilst recording hole wins/losses after holing out.
I've seen that R&A statement before. I think I know what they mean but....

Say my oppo leaves the ball 18 inches from the hole. Am I not able to say " Youll still need to putt it, but as far as the match is concerned, its conceded". (Or words to that effect). I'd have thought, that when they do putt, whether it goes in or not has a bearing on their strokeplay score but not on the match. Or am I being too naive as regards the rules/advice?

bunkerblaster

Visit site
What difference does it make? He can putt out whatever without having to play it again. Given the above info I would not concede a thing and play exclusively to stroke play rules, hole everything. So much for match play being the highest/best (?) format of the game, its relegated to an also ran.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What difference does it make? He can putt out whatever without having to play it again. Given the above info I would not concede a thing and play exclusively to stroke play rules, hole everything. So much for match play being the highest/best (?) format of the game, its relegated to an also ran.
You're not under any compulsion to combine the two formats. Forget putting in a score; get on with your match play; and enjoy your golf.