Masters - Give us your questions and queries

LukeNor

Hacker
Visit site
Hi again,

Please let us know if there are any questions or queries about the Masters, Augusta or anything else (within reason!) that you would like us to answer.

Just reply to this post and we'll do our best!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours

Luke and Neil

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Here's one for you Luke and Neil.
Some time ago I read that the Masters was no longer a real invitation event as the organisers had a set of criteria which dictated who got in and who didn't.
Yet this week I see that Montgomery is miffed because a Chinese guy way below him in the rankings is in and the great Monty isn't!
How does it work?

LukeNor

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Shanker,

That's a good point as it's a difficult question – it is still an invitation event but you qualify for an invite if you fit into certain criteria. Hope that makes sense for a start.

All the criteria are listed on our US Masters microsite - so find all your answers here:

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/masters200...cle_201113.html

The Chinese player, who so irritated our Monty, got in because the Masters Committee still reserve the right to invite anyone they choose. As such, to further the appeal of the game in China, they decided to invite said player.

Hope that helps, come back to us with any other queries!

Thanks

Luke

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Luke

We hear a lot mentioned about the tented village at the British open with its trade stands, junior golf demos etc. Usually some BBC unknown will do a few live pieces from te village during the opening two days. Does Augusta have something similar. We never hear about it or see it or is it a case of limited room behing prohibitive

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi again,

Please let us know if there are any questions or queries about the Masters, Augusta or anything else (within reason!) that you would like us to answer.

Just reply to this post and we'll do our best!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours

Luke and Neil

Any chance you can ask Mr. Jimenez what brand of cigar he smokes - maybe it can knock a couple of strokes off my game

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any chance you can ask Mr. Jimenez what brand of cigar he smokes - maybe it can knock a couple of strokes off my game

Easy....Graycliff G2 Yellow Label,

( :) now Graycliff G10 Yellow dot.....)

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Easy....Graycliff G2 Yellow Label,

( :) now Graycliff G10 Yellow dot.....)

always thought it might be a a non-habanos brand - no good smoking a Cuban if you play in the US all the time. Made by one of the creators of Cohiba no less - class.

How in gods name did you find that out?

LukeNor

Hacker
Visit site
Hi HomerJSimpson et al,

Just been for another wander around Augusta and can tell you that you are right there isn't a tented village as there is at the Open. In fact, everything here just seems to blend in so easily with the natural surroundings that you hardly notice anything man-made!

There is a large Golf Shop here that as you can imagine attracts a huge amount of attention. However, it's a permanent warehouse structure and similarly with the food and beverage outlets, most of which are small green huts that stay up all year round – one of the advantages of having the tournament here every year.

As for Miguel's cigar brand... good work Realgolferuk!

Keep them coming.

Luke

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
With all the problems the Olympic torch is suffering through anti-Chinese protests, is the invitation likely to one that Augusta will regret - or are they geared up for this?

NeilTappin

GM Staff
Visit site
Brendy,

For as long as I can remember people have wondered about green pain and blue dye at Augusta - after all, it's like no other place on earth. However, the one thing you realise when you see the course for real is that, whilst it is maintained to the highest possible standard, it's still very natural. I don't want to shatter any cherished illusions but you can, if you look hard enough, spot the odd imperfection. I guess that's how you know it's for real.

I believe that there isn't any blue dye in the water. As for the green paint, well, most of the buildings are clad in it.

Neil

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
out of interest without wanting to look it up, what is the time difference for where you are lads in terms of GMT? What is the local time now?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think I remember seeing on the telly years ago that certain areas are painted to give the impression that all pathways etc are lovely and parallel and the water is always fresh and blue looking, even when there should be the green reflection from the surrounding greenery, its no illusion I have as its still one of the greatest sporting events of the year.
Do you do requests for pinching clubs while the pros practice?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So many question spring to mind.

What's the security like? Romford bouncer or Ritz waiter?

Are the players approachable or so locked into their pre-game preps. that they haven't any time for journos or punters?

Having (presumably) run your hands over the immaculate turf on both the fairways and greens is it distinctly different from the varieties we play on in Blighty or just the same genus but manicured to perfection?

What's the prevailing ambient weather like?

Do the Azalias actually have a fragrance or are they all show and no perfume?

What does it actually feel like to walk over the little bridge at the 13th ( I think that's the one)?

Having brushed shoulders with the public there , how do they compare to our home grown crowds? more rowdy? class spread? dress sense?

What wildlife is prevelant there? bird and fowl varieties? How about the trees? is it all Scots Pines?

Exactly how wide is the semi rough? and how deep?

Have you had the chance to see inside the cabin where the green jacket is presented? what's it like?

Have you been into the members locker and changing rooms? I guess they are plush but anything stand out?

What draft beverages are on offer in the bar?

In those little pyramids of balls that we see the pro's warming up with on the practice ground(how big is the practice ground? size of a driving range?) what golf balls are they offered? do they have a choice?

Do the guys from the tour trucks, the media and the officials get together for a pint 'after work'?

Is the driveway up to the clubhouse as grand as you thought it would be?

apologies for the multiple questions but you're treading on part of this earth I'll never walk on if I live to be 500 years old.

regards,

bill

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I may answer some of your questions:

What's the security like? Romford bouncer or Ritz waiter? They are very strict but very pleasant - everyone who goes is very respectful and feels honoured to be there and is well behaved. The gates don't open that early, and the course opens a bit later so everyone queues very politely then when the gates open it's like a very formal fast walking race to get to the place where you want (No running is a common call) to put your Masters chair which you then leave there (empty) until you want to take your place in the front row for all the action - we got our seats about 15/20 yards from the flag on 18 green!!

Are the players approachable or so locked into their pre-game preps. that they haven't any time for journos or punters? If you can get into the Clubhouse area then they will say hello - loads of time for journos/agents etc under the big oak tree at the back of the Clubhouse.

Having (presumably) run your hands over the immaculate turf on both the fairways and greens is it distinctly different from the varieties we play on in Blighty or just the same genus but manicured to perfection? Completely different grass (due to the heat) and is manicured like you have never seen

What's the prevailing ambient weather like? Pissed down when we went in 2005 - had to go and buy a whole new set of clothes from the stores scross the road at the end of the first day!!

Do the Azalias actually have a fragrance or are they all show and no perfume? Smell nice

What does it actually feel like to walk over the little bridge at the 13th ( I think that's the one)? 12 - awesome

Having brushed shoulders with the public there , how do they compare to our home grown crowds? more rowdy? class spread? dress sense? No dress sense, very reserved, knowlegable and most been going for the last 10/20/30 years!!

What wildlife is prevelant there? bird and fowl varieties? How about the trees? is it all Scots Pines? Hardly any wildlife I can remember - mostly all pines but some other trees there but not really in play

Exactly how wide is the semi rough? and how deep? Sir it's called the first (or second?) cut - about a mowers width - not that deep but thick

Have you had the chance to see inside the cabin where the green jacket is presented? what's it like? No - Clubhouse is amazing though - all the staff are 'locals' - like you would imagine back in the 30's!!

Have you been into the members locker and changing rooms? I guess they are plush but anything stand out? It's very Ronseal - everything does exactly what is says on the tin

What draft beverages are on offer in the bar? Beer in green cups outside - there is no branding whatsoever anywhere!!

In those little pyramids of balls that we see the pro's warming up with on the practice ground(how big is the practice ground? size of a driving range?) what golf balls are they offered? do they have a choice? Range is quite small - it's not wide enough to accommodate all the players or long enough - they have a massive (and I mean massive) fence at the end to keep the balls off the highway at the end of it - Tiger's drive where about half way up the fence on the fly!!

Do the guys from the tour trucks, the media and the officials get together for a pint 'after work'? No tour trucks that week but yes.....

Is the driveway up to the clubhouse as grand as you thought it would be? Not until you get to the turning circle at the end

How's that?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bit more detail please sammmebee, why be so vague! :D

Excellent, very enlightening. I know they are totally different courses but would you prefer to play in the masters or on a british open course? how do the levels of difficulty scale against each other, ie the tightness and speed of the augusta fairways and greens or windy dry terrain of st andrews, carnastie etc.