Marshalling...

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I volunteered at the European Ladies Masters two years ago, when they were playing in Düseldorf. It was a great experience, I got to be on group marshall for (among others) Laura Davies, Georgia Hall, Florentyn Parker and Sandra Gall. We did not get to talk to the players much, but it was really nice to see their game from up that close. (Even though, arond the green for example you don't see that much of it, because you are supposed to face the spectators while holding up that quiet sign ... ).

I also handed out caddie bibs (nice job, because I got to see all groups teeing off that way) and manned an on course leader board one day. The leader board job was probably the most annoying one, because of constant technical issues with our smart phone like communication devices. And also because you were glued to one spot.

W Murfitt

Visit site
great to hear that you enjoyed the experience, we have covered most of the aspects of golf from playing in big events caddying and not the marshalling experience, and hearing the other marshals stories, they absolutely love getting out there and being part of the action. our Marshalling was at the Stay sure Tour Men's European Senior Masters, and it was quiet relaxed atmosphere. but a experience that i think everybody should try at least once. The video hopefully will be up tomorrow or Saturday i'm just awaiting one more piece of information before we go LIVE.

Last edited by a moderator:

W Murfitt

Visit site
How did you get on in your scratch final ?
Well.... i lost, i do need to do a round up of that, but felt the moment passed! managed to take it to the 15th, i was -1 and playing some great golf but the guy i was playing was -5 i don't mind loosing to birdies or eagles for that matter. it was a very enjoyable match but lost unfortunately. i achieved what i wanted by not being a massive embarrassment.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Done it a few times. Enjoyment varies depending on what duty you have. Walking scorer etc quite good fun, scoreboard duty much less so etc

W Murfitt

Visit site
Done it a few times. Enjoyment varies depending on what duty you have. Walking scorer etc quite good fun, scoreboard duty much less so etc
that's great to hear, we split and one of us did a score board on the 18th, which had a great vantage point to watch the golf and the other scorer.
I can see how at times it could be a poor experience in the wind and rain but with most things you have to take the rough with the smooth and enjoy the moments when they become available. it's looking like the video will be going live in the next few hours so keep an eye out for this, and see if you can relate to these guys experiences.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks. Scoreboard (especially the 18th) wouldn't be so bad, however scoreboard in the tented village, away from the action, not much fun. What I did find though, and hope comes though on your video, is how good the camaraderie generally is

W Murfitt

Visit site
Golfhacker Goes Marshalling - Whats it all about, well the wait is over. Come and check out the footage taken at last weeks European Senior Masters Staysure Staysure Tour Thanks must go to the marshals and Champions UK Plc for the footage and the opportunity. Golfhacker Goes Marshalling Video (video will be live at 5pm)

W Murfitt

Visit site
Decent video 👍
cheers mate, those guys are really stretched especially on that particularly event. hopefully its a great advert for them to encourage some new blood into their volunteering.
I've got some great content coming up soon, so i'll keep the content flowing via here also.

thanks for the watch and love the feedback :)

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Marshalled the Scottish Open at Royal Aberdeen few years back, absolutely loved it. Did it just as one of those 'so u say u did it' things, but would absolutely do it again if the opportunity arose.

W Murfitt

Visit site
Marshalled the Scottish Open at Royal Aberdeen few years back, absolutely loved it. Did it just as one of those 'so u say u did it' things, but would absolutely do it again if the opportunity arose.
drop the guys in the video a quick email and they will keep you on their radar for future events in your area.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
cheers mate, those guys are really stretched especially on that particularly event. hopefully its a great advert for them to encourage some new blood into their volunteering.
I've got some great content coming up soon, so i'll keep the content flowing via here also.

thanks for the watch and love the feedback :)

Indeed, they were understaffed for Marshalls this year (at least they were on Friday). IMO it's definitely worth doing at least once

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I marshalled at the Open at Muirfield in 2013. Had an amazing week.

Highlight was being on the tee on the Wednesday watching the top guys trying different shots.

Also gives you an idea of the good guys and those that aren't so nice.

W Murfitt

Visit site
I marshalled at the Open at Muirfield in 2013. Had an amazing week.

Highlight was being on the tee on the Wednesday watching the top guys trying different shots.

Also gives you an idea of the good guys and those that aren't so nice.

fantastic, great to hear you ave giving it a go too. i think practice days are always far more relaxed. and as for the good bad and the ugly, i imagine its on based on how they play? paying well i'm sure these guys are great to be around but on a bad day not a nice experience, i'm sure there are those who are nice all the time and also those who are complete horrors too..