Marshalling at a Pro Event

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club has been invited to provide Marshalls for next years Irish Open at RCD.

I had been intending to go as a spectator for at least one of the days but i'm now wondering would I be better just putting my name down to Marshall on the competition days i want to go to.

For anyone that has been a Marshall before, is it a good way to see some golf or is it more hassle than its worth?

D

Deleted member 15344

I Marshall at the Travis Perkins

It was great as I was just following round a group to ensure there was no issues

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Friends of mine volunteered to marshall at Gleneagles for the Ryder Cup. One was assigned to the car park, and never saw a thing!

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Friends of mine volunteered to marshall at Gleneagles for the Ryder Cup. One was assigned to the car park, and never saw a thing!

That's the kind of thing I'd be worried about. Although the letter to the club seems to suggest that clubs are requested to provide 15-20 volunteers and they will be assigned one hole to marshall.

D

Deleted member 16999

Done a few, normally when a Club is asked they are assigned to a hole, great way to get close to the action, plus normally work the day in shifts so when off you can walk and watch anywhere, been lucky, never done a car park,
When you volunteer as an individual via PGA, all jobs need filling!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
That's the kind of thing I'd be worried about. Although the letter to the club seems to suggest that clubs are requested to provide 15-20 volunteers and they will be assigned one hole to marshall.

Usually there are two types. Volunteer marshals that cover a designated hole and such like. Then you can get paid jobs like I done at Muirfield a couple of years back. That can involve car parks, entrances, perimeter fences and such like. However, I find it hard to believe that someone was on a car park the full tournament, not to see a thing with no relief....that’s why there is paid jobs. Besides, who in their right mind would carry on doing that after the first day, especially if you’re a volunteer. At most big tournaments there’s a shift pattern, say 6 hours on and the rest of the day is yours to watch free. Start early one day, start midday the next.
The last couple of days at Muirfield we were covering the back of Greywalls Hotel at the 9th green and 10th tee. Great couple of days that was.
Ask the right questions and you’ll find out.

jpxpro

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i was a marshall at ryder cup was on course whilst working for 1/2 day then spent afternoon wandering round as a non paying spectator :)

defo worth it imo, you always find club members get the course jobs as they know their way around

TaylormadePhil

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I marshalled at Loch Lomond for 5 years, the 1st 2 years I was buggy driving, picking up the players from the 18th green to take them back to the clubhouse, which was great, especially having people like Phil Mickelson sat next to you and just chatting away, but I didn't get to see too much golf. I then worked for 3 years between the 17th green and standing on the 18th tee. where I saw all the golf and listened to all the chat between the players and caddies. The best time though was on the tuesday which is a non spectator day and the 1st real practice day when we just wandered round watching the practice day and having a laugh and chat with the players who were very relaxed and enjoying playing the course with their pals

Its a long day if you are on the last few holes as the players start coming round quite early in the day and obviously they are the last holes to play. Normally you would receive a shirt, jacket and hat at the start of the week along with a freebie weekly pass for a family member or friend and you also get some vouchers for food and drink each day that you are working.

Hope this helps.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did the recent World Matchplay and enjoyed it. We did get up close to the players but, in reality, most golf I've been to you can get pretty close. You will be doing a job so it's not always possible to see much golf and I found 5 days pretty tiring. I probably wouldn't bother again as the food and clothing we were given weren't special and I'd probably go to a comp on one day and watch the rest on tv

TaylormadePhil

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the minimum that they would expect you to Marshall for is 2 days. Certainly at Loch Lomond. And they expected you to go in the either on the Saturday or Sunday prior to the event for a health and safety talk and to discuss your role at the event. you would normally pick up your clothing and tickets at this time. The meeting would normally last about 1 - 2 hours

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think the minimum that they would expect you to Marshall for is 2 days. Certainly at Loch Lomond. And they expected you to go in the either on the Saturday or Sunday prior to the event for a health and safety talk and to discuss your role at the event. you would normally pick up your clothing and tickets at this time. The meeting would normally last about 1 - 2 hours

I think you will find that the minimum number of days will depend on the Chief Marshal and the availability of volunteers. At Wentworth it would appear that there is not a shortage of volunteers as the minimum number of days is 3 which does not include the Pro-Am.