Manners - or lack of......

mikevet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recovering from a recent injury I was unable to play golf for a few weeks but, as things improved, I decided to take advantage of the fine weather and try some walks along the public footpaths across and around my local course, of which I am a member. During one walk I stopped and waited for three different groups to putt out before proceeding. Did I get any acknowledgment? Nothing; not a wave nor a 'thank you'. All three groups were old enough to know better - 50 and above - and I consider them a poor advertisement for the etiquette of the game and a poor example to youngsters like my 11 year old whom I have taught to always have consideration for others on the golf course and to thank people in situations like this. Do these people think they are above common courtesy or are they just rude and/or stupid?

My son and I met another example of thoughtlessness on Monday when we played Hever Castle Prince's course. The short par 3 third passes behind the second green. Just as we were chipping onto the second green a player on the third shot by in his buggy without so much as a glance. His party knew we were playing behind them and must have realised we would be close to our green. Not only that, but they also left their bags next to our green twice during the round instead of taking them to, or closer to, their tee. Again they were old enough to know better.

Sadly it seems to be a certain age-group that appears to think themselves above common courtesy and thought for others. They can't always have carried on regardless of other players - or perhaps they have!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know what you mean I always think of others during my rounds before my own game. Whether it be around greens while people are putting or anywhere on the course in fact where people are taking shots. This weekend I was playing only my second round at new club, I was out on my own as could only tee off in the afternoon. A man and his young son teed of just as I got to the pro shop. My first hole is blind over the crest of a hill so a bell is placed 3/4 down hole to inform the tee box all is clear. Was it rang? Was it heck. Later I caught them up a little so slowed my game thought it's ok I'm in no rush just enjoy my round it's quite and a lovely afternoon. As I catch them at the sixth green they tee the seventh a short par three. Here I notice they are playing at least two off the tee! Now I didn't notice if they were playing better ball but really frustrated me as I'm trying not to pressure them and they are taking two off the tee the cheek of it! Sorry rant over!

A

Alex1975

One sees things like this all the time. I was out the other afternoon and there were some guys that had had to come through to our hole to find a lost ball and they were just yelling to one another through the hedge, no care that we were chipping and putting.

The only thing to do is teach the people we bring to the game to do the right thing.

T

thecraw

Why would you expect to be acknowledged just because you stopped and let someone putt?

Anal post.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why would you expect to be acknowledged just because you stopped and let someone putt?

Anal post.

Don't agree Crawford. If a member of the public walking the course stopped to allow me to play my shot, or putt, I would acknowledge their actions with a "thank you".
If it's common land, they have as much right to be there as I do.

;)

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I was behind people playing and that happened where they were walking off the following tee while I was putting, I would let them carry on. I wouldnt expect them to stop for me. After all, if they did then they would be holding me up.
Let them carry on and that wont happen again.
As for someone walking the course and you wanting them to stop, I wouldnt, We have a local beauty spot beside our course can and walkers are bery close to our course, We dont expect them to stop while we play golf.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Any walker that stops, we acknowledge. rarely do they ever stop walking when we are hitting but I guess that they dont understand our etiquette and the possible dangers.

I played in the week as a 2 ball and a 3 ball went off the wrong tee at the wrong time in front of us at the turn. They held us up on every hole even though there were no players ahead of them at any stage of the 9 holes and they never once, even when searching for a ball, invited us through. As they were on their first 9 we never got to see them afterwards to politely offer to place my 54 degree wedge where the sun dont shine - but etiquette prevents us from making a formal complaint - doesn't it!

Chris

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Slightly different but the same really....
Busy supermarkets.
You're heading towards a gap in the crowd with your trolley when you see someone else coming the other way heading for the same gap.
You stop to let them go through first and you NEVER get a thank you.
Ijust say in a loud voice "Your welcome" :mad:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Bob
can you clear your PM's out mate?
It's lovely when you write a lengthy tome to send to somebody, click on "submit" and it tells you they have exceeded their message quota. You are then advised to click on your "back" button to go back to the previous page and the essay that you spent 10 minutes arranging has disabloodypeared.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sorry Rob, all sorted now.

Thanks Bob.
Wasn't a pop at you by the way, just the stupid forum software which automatically deletes a PM that you can't send. Would be nice if the capability was built in where you could "draft" a message that couldn't be sent due to a members full "inbox". You don't know their inbox is full until you press "submit" and it's too late then!!
Will PM you later. Off for a shave now....Jury service beckons

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Bob
It's lovely when you write a lengthy tome to send to somebody, click on "submit" and it tells you they have exceeded their message quota. You are then advised to click on your "back" button to go back to the previous page and the essay that you spent 10 minutes arranging has disabloodypeared.
Full inbox? That's the worst piece of inconsiderate behaviour, in my opinion. ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob
Full inbox? That's the worst piece of inconsiderate behaviour, in my opinion. ;)

You're right of course. How inconsiderate of me not to delete all the messages from people asking for free golf advice ;)

And now I have to wait all day to find out what Smiffy wanted. :mad: :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a round at the start of this year where a mate and I tee’d of behind a 4 ball with no one in front of them and they held us up the whole way round. Had to wait on every tee as this particular course is short in winter. At no time did they even attempt to speak to us. I was told later that they were all on the committee.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
but etiquette prevents us from making a formal complaint - doesn't it!

Does it? Why?

I wouldn't want the sh*t that goes with it.

I spent 4 years on the Club committee working my socks off for the members and there are some idiots who blank me in the car park because decisions made by the committe, as a whole, were things that they disagreed with and they wont even say "good morning" because they blame us personally, even though I may have voted against the decision. You can imagine what some would be like if you complained personally about them for a "minor " thing!!

Chris

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
but etiquette prevents us from making a formal complaint - doesn't it!

Does it? Why?

I wouldn't want the sh*t that goes with it.

Ah, I don't think that's etiquette stopping you then.

I spent 4 years on the Club committee working my socks off for the members and there are some idiots who blank me in the car park because decisions made by the committe, as a whole, were things that they disagreed with and they wont even say "good morning" because they blame us personally, even though I may have voted against the decision. You can imagine what some would be like if you complained personally about them for a "minor " thing!!

One would hope you could make complaints anonymously to be honest.