Managing Club KO Competitions

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably one of the hardest jobs in the Golf Club but entry lists will be going up soon.

How does your Club ensure the rounds are played by their closing date, or close to??

D

Deleted member 15344

On IG the rounds have the date set up and if they don’t play by the date the system DQ them both and that’s it

It’s how we also do it manually - there are no extensions until the semi final - if you don’t play by the date then both DQ

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I stopped playing in knock outs because of the problems with arranging games - my partner is on holiday, we can play on the last day and we will claim the match if you won't, or no contact details for example - and the failure of club officials to enforce play by dates. Then there is the handicap thing. My favourite example is the guy who told me he was off 23. That was 21 shots I was giving so I expressed my disbelief. Well, he said, I had 107 in the medal on Saturday. So six net birdies and a net eagle later I'm beaten 6 and 5. Someone told me later he shoots 107 every Saturday!
My current club doesn't have knockouts.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I stopped playing in knock outs because of the problems with arranging games - my partner is on holiday, we can play on the last day and we will claim the match if you won't, or no contact details for example - and the failure of club officials to enforce play by dates. Then there is the handicap thing. My favourite example is the guy who told me he was off 23. That was 21 shots I was giving so I expressed my disbelief. Well, he said, I had 107 in the medal on Saturday. So six net birdies and a net eagle later I'm beaten 6 and 5. Someone told me later he shoots 107 every Saturday!
My current club doesn't have knockouts.

same here, i'm not sure why some at my club even sign up TBH, one guy even won one of them without playing a single game until the final because of byes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's for the secretary to decide.... but would be something like the course closed for a week or so prior to the play date. Not much else gets by him.
Ah, yes, I see that...... just wondered what else they might consider to be exceptional
'cos that does seem to be opening the door rather.
I certainly like the IG facility for KO's, LiverpoolPhil.... neat!!

Yes Mr H I also bother little with Club ones & find it easier to arrange things outside the Club in the Titleist, HDIDo, EnglandGolf, etc KO's....... still loads of bandits though, but that's another thing!!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have pretty much zero tolerance, unless it really is exceptional circumstances. Rules and dates are posted on sign up, so no excuses.

So if one player wants to play but the other won't agree a date, won't respond to requests/communications, stalls etc. then both players get kicked out?

D

Deleted member 15344

So if one player wants to play but the other won't agree a date, won't respond to requests/communications, stalls etc. then both players get kicked out?

That’s the policy for us as well - you can stand on the tee on the last day of the deadline at 2 oc clock - if your opponent doesn’t appear within 10 mins you can claim the game , only have to let the pro shop know

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
We use a challenge book system and only 1 player gets put out each round if the tie isn't played, the other player is awarded the tie based on the rules in the challenge book.

Much fairer IMO as it doesn't penalise players who want to and make every effort to play the match.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Low handicappers will increasingly stop entering.

Guess that means that eventually they will stop winning them then....cant remember anyone above cat 2 winning at my current club. Yes, the higher guys will win the odd round, but they will bow out before the end.

ours are seeded into Cat on the whole, well the first few games are, so as there are not massive discrepancies in shots given . but saying that our ave handicap is quite low.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guess that means that eventually they will stop winning them then....cant remember anyone above cat 2 winning at my current club. Yes, the higher guys will win the odd round, but they will bow out before the end.

It’s not about winning or losing, Duncan. More the soul crushing inevitability that how you play has no bearing on the outcome.

I speak as one of the few here who had ever given more than 30 shots in a match or who has regularly given high 20s. It’s just too contrived, not competitive and not much fun.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have pretty much zero tolerance, unless it really is exceptional circumstances. Rules and dates are posted on sign up, so no excuses.

The same. If there is an issue, it has to be put in writing to the captain, but it has to be exceptional. Not played and both DQ'd. Plenty of time between rounds so no excuses really even in holiday season

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use 'toss of the coin ' for matches not played by due date. A little bit of leeway is given for semi finals and final.

I had to chase up one match this year, caused by one player getting through to 3 semis so given quite a bit of grace.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use a challenge book system and only 1 player gets put out each round if the tie isn't played, the other player is awarded the tie based on the rules in the challenge book.

Much fairer IMO as it doesn't penalise players who want to and make every effort to play the match.
How does that work practically

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
On IG the rounds have the date set up and if they don’t play by the date the system DQ them both and that’s it

It’s how we also do it manually - there are no extensions until the semi final - if you don’t play by the date then both DQ

I had a hell of a job last year, with two games going over the dates. One was a nightmare row, but both were disqualified. Then one pair in the Semi Finals couldn't play by the required date. I had no choice but to disqualify them. No if's or buts. Make sure you have rules to cover this!!!!!!! (Which we now have)