MACDONALD HILL VALLEY HOTEL, GOLF AND SPA

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Anyone had a golf break at MACDONALD HILL VALLEY HOTEL, GOLF AND SPA?

Looking at places for 2023.

Would be 8 of us for two nights, three rounds.

Cheers

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a golf break there in summer 2020 (or thereabouts). Hotel was fine - comfortable in a bland, corporate, sort of style, if you see what I mean. It's a bit on its own - ie not especially close to anything - so if you want go on the beer, it's either the hotel bar, or about 20min or so walk into Whitchurch. Because they were hosting a EuroPro tour event the day after we left, only one of the two courses was available to us. Am pretty sure it was the longer Hill Course. Course was also fine - parkland layout and reasonably well kept. No real 'wow' factor though. We were unfortunate in that we went at end of a pretty wet spell of weather - so course was pretty soft. (Not sure I'd want to play there through winter?). Played two rounds on same course, then our third at the nearby sister hotel - Macdonald Portal - at Tarporley. For a short golf break it's OK - reasonably priced and there were plenty of other parties similar ours who were staying there and enjoying themselves. But having done it once, I'd say there's no real 'must rush back' factor about the place.

Ps it's not too far away from Bangor on Dee racecourse - which is why we picked it in the first place. (One of our group is ticking off all the UK racecourses).

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played golf but been a couple of times with my wife. Hotel is nice, hotel prices (as you'd expect), food was ok. As Backwoodsman says it's a drive to anywhere close if you fancied beers away from the course.

The Fader

Visit site
Hill Valley is OK. I found the 2nd course to be bit of something and nothing.

I prefer Macdonalds at Portal which is only about 20 minutes away. Whilst courses are not top class they definitely edge those at Hill Valley.

As with most hotels, be prepared for open wallet surgery in the bars!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Typical resort hotel/courses. Not bad but won’t blow you away. Avoid winter/early spring, it does get soggy.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ill find out on Monday , County Captain is a member but last I heard they are really short of staff, guests ordering food in to be delivered from local McDonalds

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Hawkstone Park is better resort type place (20 minutes down the road). Few beers and a curry in Shrewsbury after does the trick aswell.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was a member there many years’ ago, in fact my first Club. Chnged since then when a guy called Albert Minshall had it and all he did was talk about himself.

only once course then and developing in and Whitchurch was lively especially on a weekend. Personally I would go to Hawkstone Park which is a better set up and courses but probably more expensive.