Low shots to keep under branches

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of times recently I have been behind smallish trees, and not really able to go over them.
i would like to be able to hit something around 50-100 yards, most probably from light rough which will not go above waist to shoulder height.

My natural ball flight is quite high.
The most upright iron i carry is a 6 iron, I have a 5 hybrid as the next club up.

What I am trying at present, just isn't working!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Conventional wisdom is probably to use a 5 or 4 iron with the ball back in the stance for a shot like this.

However, if the lie is OK, I like to play a wee dunt with a 3 wood. To keep it down I just swing shoulders/arms - no wrist action whatsoever.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Conventional wisdom is probably to use a 5 or 4 iron with the ball back in the stance for a shot like this.

However, if the lie is OK, I like to play a wee dunt with a 3 wood. To keep it down I just swing shoulders/arms - no wrist action whatsoever.
Thanks, that's what I have been trying and the ball is low but JUST keeps catching the lowest branches.
I might try a wood, or else put the ball even further back

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a few things to watch out for.
As you said, ball a little back in your stance
Use a 3 or 4 hybrid
Narrower stance than normal
hold the club at the bottom of the grip
short swing back and through
HIT IT SOFTLY
If you try and hit it hard it will climb
The video below is for a longer shot but you should get the idea

[video=youtube;aRPAqER9JWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPAqER9JWQ&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=8&feature=plcp[/video]

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use a 3 or 4 hybrid
HIT IT SOFTLY
The video below is for a longer shot but you should get the idea

[video=youtube;aRPAqER9JWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPAqER9JWQ&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=8&feature=plcp[/video]
Thanks bob, I'll try a 3 hybrid

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given my performance lately I've become quite a hybrid tree hugger. Depending on how much control I need I have even gripped down the shaft, sometimes almost anchoring the top of the grip on my gut.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I often use a hibrid or a 6 iron. I get best results if I have the ball back in my stance, take a steep backswing and a short, low follow through. It is also good to grip down (As Bob suggests)

The steep backswing delofts the club as you swing down helping to keep the ball down.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
With so many tree's on my course its a shot you have to master quite quickly.

I was shown to have the ball in the back stance and hit at the ball with a 4 or 5 iron with the hands finishing waist high rather than a normal follow-through swing, a bit like a punch shot.

Its effective and works for me when needing to keep it low under large overhanging branches.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A few people have mentioned putting the ball back in your stance but you have to be careful doing that as it can lead to a steeper swing which can cause the ball to spin up the clubface giving too much loft to the shot. I would be inclined to have the ball in the middle of your stance but with your hands well ahead of the ball. The secret to keeping it low is not to have any wrist action through the shot, keep them stiff and don't release the clubhead. This will give you the low punch shot you are looking for :thup:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
*almost* looking forward to the next time I am stuck behind a tree!
Thanks for all the tips.
Will have a little practice tomorrow

D

Deleted Member 1156

Socket

Everyone knows that if you want to hit the ball in the air you hit down on the ball and allow it to spin up the clubface. My suggestion of playing the ball in the middle of the stance with your hands well ahead allows you to hit with a much shallower arc and thus prevent the ball spinning up the face by not releasing your hands.

Can I suggest that you spend less time trying to belittle other people's contributions and more time making constructive suggestions to those people seeking advice.

Minhoca

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a 3 rescue and punch the ball out. Its a nice smooth swing and safer than trying to punch an iron.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socket

Everyone knows that if you want to hit the ball in the air you hit down on the ball and allow it to spin up the clubface. My suggestion of playing the ball in the middle of the stance with your hands well ahead allows you to hit with a much shallower arc and thus prevent the ball spinning up the face by not releasing your hands.

Can I suggest that you spend less time trying to belittle other people's contributions and more time making constructive suggestions to those people seeking advice.

Hmm! where do I start then.

I suggested that playing the ball back in my stance and hitting down steeply with a short follow through delofted the clubhead and created a low ball flight.

You then inferred that was wrong and the ball should be placed further forward and that making a steeper swing would make more loft on the shot.

Now you say that 'EVERYONE' knows that if you want to hit the ball in the air you hit down on the ball and allow it to spin up the clubface. You also have suggested that playing the ball in the middle of your stance will allow you to make a shallower arc and this will create less spin.

So!

I replied to the OP with some sound advice.

You decided to counter everything I said.

I reaffirmed my previous post and explained that moving the ball forward will not help. I added a video that supported what I said.

Now you accuse me of belittling other peoples contributions and I should make contributions to those seeking advice.

Look. Delofting the clubface with the ball back will send the ball lower not higher. Moving the ball forward will present more loft and reduce the distance the hands lead the clubface.

I suggest you get your facts right and take some of your own medicine. You have made a point of attacking my posts in a few threads now when they were genuinely made to help. If you want to disagree with me then please do so, I will consider your points but will not necessarily agree with them.

Last edited:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use a 3 or 4 hybrid
HIT IT SOFTLY

I've tried this on the range a few times, but finally had to put it into practice yesterday, stuck behind my least favourite tree.

Light rough, 3 hybrid, ball back, gripped down, and a wee dunt.

Lovely! and didn't hit the low branches!

Will be my go to shot in future when in the trees.

Thank you everyone for advice