Low Handicap v Chance to Win Things

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rob mcgarr has some great videos on youtube.. in one of them he talks to a pro about practice percentages.. the pro spends 80pc of his time on pitching chipping and putting... i reckon that is what will save you (and me) those 4 to 5 shots that you feel your game deserves... not to mention the joy of holing the occasional chip or long putt... good luck buddy

I so wish I could do this and occasionally I do (successfully) but when I practice chipping so long I end up developing the shanks and need to stop. It rarely happens on the course but happens a lot practicing chipping especially

brfcfan

Visit site
There are too many people who sandbag their handicaps. The fault is with CONGU that they only insist on 3 supplementaries to maintain a competitive handicap.

IMO you should have had to play in 6 competitive qualifiers at your club in the last 12 months to qualify for any external competition.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it's getting the handicap down. I'd love to get down to single figures. I've won a few comps at our club, and it's nice to see your name on the board, but for me golf is about improving yourself and your game and getting the handicap down is the main measure of doing that.

You’re only a couple of rounds away Stephen.... I have you in my sights tho 👀

D

Deleted member 21258

There are too many people who sandbag their handicaps. The fault is with CONGU that they only insist on 3 supplementaries to maintain a competitive handicap.

IMO you should have had to play in 6 competitive qualifiers at your club in the last 12 months to qualify for any external competition.

The people you are talking about can ensure their handicap is X, whether they play 3 or 50 Q comps a year, so saying you have to play 6 wont solve the problem.

D

Deleted member 21258

The very low handicappers have it tough to win things, as they almost need a course record to win a handicap comp.

I couldn't really care less about winning, name on the board or a low handicap, what I would like to do is play good golf(strike, direction etc) but as you improve the definition of good golf keeps changing and I never get there.:mad:

So what drives me is the wish to play good golf at lots of different courses. If a good score comes from playing well then great, but if it doesn't I am much happy for playing 'well' than playing bad & scoring well.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The very low handicappers have it tough to win things, as they almost need a course record to win a handicap comp.

I couldn't really care less about winning, name on the board or a low handicap, what I would like to do is play good golf(strike, direction etc) but as you improve the definition of good golf keeps changing and I never get there.:mad:

So what drives me is the wish to play good golf at lots of different courses. If a good score comes from playing well then great, but if it doesn't I am much happy for playing 'well' than playing bad & scoring well.

That’s the game though eh? I always said once I get to low teens and regularly shooting in the 80’s I’ll be happy.... well I’m there now and I still think I’m 💩

And even if I get to a 7 handicap I’ll still think I’m 💩..... golfers are masochists!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My #1 priority when I joined my current club was to get my name on one of the club's main boards (being a member of a club is important to me and becoming part of it's history is an honour) - I did that by winning the Winter Singles handicap K/O a few years ago. I'd still like to get my name on any board for one of the main summer comps - but not bothered which one.

Meanwhile my current #1 priority is to stabilise my swing; better scoring and handicap reductions will then follow if I am sensible about my course management. I'd like to get my h/cap back to the best it ever was (6) of some 25yrs ago. If I am heading in that direction then there is a good chance that I'll win something along the way - if it is one of the summer board comps all the better .

Last edited: