Louvred Pergola .. any advice

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am looking at putting a louvered pergola on the patio. Approx 3x4m. The idea initially started with erecting a wooden pergola. Would cost in c1500 with labour and kit.

But my social is filled with companies flogging metal ones. Most of these come with roof making it rain proof and some heating etc. but the cost is more than twice.

Are they any good? Any experience on price?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One word of warning, where in the UK are you? Is the weather conducive to a cover?

We have a pergola, looks great, and my wife wanted some form of roofing on it. I pointed out our location, NE of England, the wind we get in the winter. Based on the number of storms in recent years, the damage they have done. I'm certain we made the right decision to do without.

Equally my mum's neighbour, NW of England, has one. Are out under it all year, they have outdoor heaters, and it's great for them.

I'm sure you have thought this through but it's worth pointing out.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I built a pergola during lockdown, we decided to leave it fully open and we are glad we did, the natural light into the kitchen area is reduced even with an open pergola. It might not affect you, but something to consider.View attachment 54830View attachment 54831

Wow... what are you doing next month? :)
This is my original thinking - also i think a wooden one looks much better since it makes the patio part of the garden. If we put a roof, it will make the front room dark. So i thought maybe we can leave the louvered ones open. How do you deal with the rain in this situation.
I agree with @Lord Tyrion 's question.. i do get worried about the wind. i m not planning to put anything on the sides (and maybe a bit open on the top).. so hopefully it will blow thru.

Standard question.. any idea on costs? where did u get it from? what type of wood is it - i hear different things about pine / duglus fir / Teak etc and treated v untreated? size?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Friends have a metal one with motor driven louvres. We’ve had an unsettled week, a few decent thunderstorms. It leaks.

More common over here is a concertina material cover.

Like it.. Why cant we get these prices in the UK. The equivalent in the UK is 4x (if not more)

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow... what are you doing next month? :)
This is my original thinking - also i think a wooden one looks much better since it makes the patio part of the garden. If we put a roof, it will make the front room dark. So i thought maybe we can leave the louvered ones open. How do you deal with the rain in this situation.
I agree with @Lord Tyrion 's question.. i do get worried about the wind. i m not planning to put anything on the sides (and maybe a bit open on the top).. so hopefully it will blow thru.

Standard question.. any idea on costs? where did u get it from? what type of wood is it - i hear different things about pine / duglus fir / Teak etc and treated v untreated? size?
If it rains we go back indoors :ROFLMAO:

I designed it and drew it up myself, we bought from a local timber supplier (but I can't for the life of me remember what type of wood), all treated and then painted with Sadolin Classic.

I think we paid about £600.00 for all the timber, probably another £50.00 on fixings etc. I was thinking of fixing the posts to the pavers with post plates, but decided to set them in concrete which was a bit more of a faff, but I'm glad we did now as it's much more sturdy.

It probably took a couple of days to cut and notch all the sections and a couple of days to erect.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it rains we go back indoors :ROFLMAO:

I designed it and drew it up myself, we bought from a local timber supplier (but I can't for the life of me remember what type of wood), all treated and then painted with Sadolin Classic.

I think we paid about £600.00 for all the timber, probably another £50.00 on fixings etc. I was thinking of fixing the posts to the pavers with post plates, but decided to set them in concrete which was a bit more of a faff, but I'm glad we did now as it's much more sturdy.

It probably took a couple of days to cut and notch all the sections and a couple of days to erect.
If it was £600 in lockdown then it's most likely pressure treated redwood or pine.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that a good thing or not? What is the preferred (durable) wood for a patio pergola
Pressure treated pine/redwood is just fine as long as it’s maintained regularly. Whereditgo looks like he’s got that in check.

More durable timber would be hardwoods like Oak but the cost would be some 8-10 times higher (unless you use green oak but then it needs maintained properly or it will just split).

There are options like Cedar which makes beautiful outdoor buildings and furniture but is mad expensive.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pressure treated pine/redwood is just fine as long as it’s maintained regularly. Whereditgo looks like he’s got that in check.

More durable timber would be hardwoods like Oak but the cost would be some 8-10 times higher (unless you use green oak but then it needs maintained properly or it will just split).

There are options like Cedar which makes beautiful outdoor buildings and furniture but is mad expensive.
Costco does a Cedar pergola, but it wont get thru planning... too tall. Our patio is 1m tall off the ground, so this will take it way over. 'Standard height' pergola e..g 2.2m should be ok, since our hedges are even taller and cant see into neighbours
https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-She...m-Wooden-Gazebo-with-Aluminium-Roof/p/1902485

The company i am currently considering say they use Spruce. No idea.. but it is currently top contender..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Costco does a Cedar pergola, but it wont get thru planning... too tall. Our patio is 1m tall off the ground, so this will take it way over. 'Standard height' pergola e..g 2.2m should be ok, since our hedges are even taller and cant see into neighbours
https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-She...m-Wooden-Gazebo-with-Aluminium-Roof/p/1902485

The company i am currently considering say they use Spruce. No idea.. but it is currently top contender..
I’d steer clear of that Costco one as it looks like one of the cedar ‘cladded’ builds where its only cedar on the outside or it is made with low grade lumber. They use the FSC certified marking as a means to obfuscate the quality.

Dunster House mainly do log cabins/out buildings but they have a very mixed reputation on the quality front, some complaining of timber delivered that is so wet that it twists and warps as soon as it dries. Few video reviews that point to poor quality spruce (which is just another conifer variety like larch, fir or pine).