Lost to a tortoise

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just back from a home match against a nearby club (Sand Martins in Wokingham). Four ball better ball format and got done 2&1. have to say feel like I was properly mugged. One of the opposition took 7 down the 1st (par 3) and then went birdie, birdie (chipping in).

Unfortunaltely my partner was struggling although he did win the 4th for us. I played the front 9 one under my handicap and we were still 2 down. Even when this bloke was missing putts (rarely) his mate was knocking in obscene putts for a half.

The only problem I had with this guy was that it was his first match and he was sooooooooooo slow. He had a pre-match routine which he stuck to meticulously which in mormal circumstances I could have handled. Problem was we had lost 2 holes by the 7th. He was so in the zone he was going through his putting routine when the outcome of the hole was already decided. He made no conversation and was mostly on his own on each hole.

To be fair though he played of 13 and must have been close to or better than that at the end and by crikey he could hit the ball miles. His swing wasn't fast or long but it just kept going and going.

I ended up struggling a bit on the back 9 as I had to start taking more chances to keep the match alive and for the most part my new swing held up under presuure (unlike in the medal yesterday) so plenty of positives.

Thing is I can't help thinking it was the slowness of this gut that put my partner off. He is one of these hit it and walk guys (he does take his time when it comes to playing the shot) and you could see hime getting wound up. His partner wasnt't too happy either especially down 18. The match was already won and the guy hit his ball close to the OB. It had just started raining and he only wanted to play 3 off the tee.

We forced him to look and then drop one but even though by the time we were playing our 3rd shots (par 5) it was tipping down the guy was still faffing around.

To be honest we were beaten by a better team so no sour grapes from me but I'd hate to get paired with this guy on a regular basis. I heard rumours that some people at his club won't play as it takes 5 hours to get round (it was 4 3/4) for us and three of us were playing at a reasonable speed.

Has anyone else had similar trouble with an opponent like this. It was only a friendly inter-club match so there was no trophy or progression into the next round at stake and so we didn't want to make a thing of it (I played with the vice-captain and although peeved off to the n th degree felt it best to let it pass).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not happened to me yet, but it will eventually. Slow play is criminal. Not sure really what you could have done about it, as it is a friendly match with no officials. A word with the other teams captain afterwards about team selection is the only thing I can come up with.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a right good moan about it to get it off chest(This forum is perfect for that sort of thing) and then thank the Lord you'll probably never have to play with him again and then move on. It's not worth dwelling on it.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Coincidentally I ALSO played a fourball better-ball team match yesterday. Myself and my partner are both quick players. The opponents: one was quick, the other was slow with the usual extensive pre-shot routine and unnecessary pauses. Thankfully the sun was shining and the opponents were decent guys but slow play by an opponent can be very frustrating (witness Peter Ebdon in actiuon at the snooker for a similar example).

Homer, the guy's behaviour on 18 is out of order. If the game is over, there is no need for a reload in that situation.

Oh, did I mention that we lost 4&3? :-(

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Commiserations to you Homer. Your match sounds like the epitome of frustration and almost 5 hours, well, even the folks at Augusta would have something to say about that! I've never had the misfortune to play against someone like that and hope I never do (likely to now I've said it).

As Mr Finch says, you've had a good rant to get it off your chest.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Commiserations Homer-hard to play with some one that slow with an extensive pre shot routine.

I find that walking slower than normal, especially if you normally walk quickly, can help keep you focused. I just ignore the antics of my partners/opponents and try and keep my mind on the game. Remember you only need to concentrate for about 30 secs per shot and not concentrate for the full4/5 hrs.

hellbunker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
nothing worse than playing with someone so slow. How long will it be before something is actually done about slow play. At the masters it was taking 2.5hrs to play 9 holes! The last person to be penalised was on the LPGA tour...her name escapes me but at least the LPGA had the stones to address slow play. The majority of members won't rat anybody out although we all know who they are. So what its going to take...

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bad luck, Homer. can imagine how frustrating that was - especially when under pressure!
Sounds like you did well to keep your cool.

AliB

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer,

I can sympathise. Hate playing with the slowest of the slow.

Was paired up with a couple of guys in a medal, one of whom I'd played with before several times so knew what to expect. 3 practice swings, 15 seconds over the ball each time (count it...it's ages) and flub 30 yards up the fairway every time.

Took an hour to play the first 3 holes. Had a word. No change. Told them in the carpark afterwards I'd never play with them again.

Have told our starter he'll go through a window if he ever pairs me with them again.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm fairly relaxed if someone takes their time over shots, if the end result justifies the means and as long as they keep up in between, but your guy sounds like he was taking the p**s by continuing when the hole (and game) was won!

As it has been said before, watching tour guys on the TV is the problem. This is especially influential for newer golfer/higher handicappers who are soaking up anything that they think would help them improve.