lost ball or not

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
while playing along with a 5 h/c player last week , he hit a 3wood for his second shot from the edge of the tree line, his ball hit a overhanging branch about 10 ft away and his ball went straight down into a waterlogged area below the branch, we heard it hit the ground but could not find the ball as it was so soggy . he said his ball was lost in abnormal ground or casual water and dropped out on npr no penalty . was that correct

Yrrah09

Club Champion
Visit site
I think he might of had to play another shot from the initial position of his second shot with a 1 shot penalty. Rule 27 states "If your ball is lost outside a water hazard or out of bounds you must play another ball from the spot where the last shot was played, under penalty of one stroke, i.e. stroke and distance". Would be good if someone cleared this up as I'm not sure.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
sounds fine - see rule 25-1c

the relevant section is "It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward an abnormal ground condition is in such a condition. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that the ball is in the abnormal ground condition. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1."

the example you give would seem to fit this

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
three of us agreed the ball had gone into the soggy stuff
sounds fine - see rule 25-1c

the relevant section is "It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward an abnormal ground condition is in such a condition. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that the ball is in the abnormal ground condition. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1."

the example you give would seem to fit this