Lost ball found +Provisional ball ??

nyckuk

Visit site
My friend hit his tee shot into a area we've never found a ball before so he hit a provisional ball all be it not very well but in play .
We so happen to find the ball but its completely unplayable with the only option available to play again from the tee.( 2 club lengths or back on a line were no goes )
As he had already played one from the tee as a provisional he would have to play that , he said as we found the ball he would have to go back and play another ( 3 off the tee )

1) Can you play the original Provisional
2) have the option to play provisional or go back to tee
3) Have to go back to the tee and ignore the original provisional

im guessing it option 1 or 3

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
1. Not after you find the first one.
2. If the first ball is found within the 3 minutes, even if its unplayable, the provisional cannot be used
3. Yes.

nyckuk

Visit site
I think you mean a red staked/lined Penalty Area ;)
That would probably describe it better as it wasn't very Lateral and that is where the issue come in

It was only a friendly so it didn't really matter ,it was just a discussion between us both

Never played this course and hit my tee shot in a out of site red staked ditch.
1) go back on line of site wasnt an option
2) back to tee ( couldn't be arsed only a friendly )
3) 2 club lengths ... Because of the angle of the hazard it was boarder line whether it was nearer the hole ( with my its a friendly cant be arsed hat on it was ok )

To settle all arugments option 2 ,but who has the final say on option 3 ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would probably describe it better as it wasn't very Lateral and that is where the issue come in

It was only a friendly so it didn't really matter ,it was just a discussion between us both

Never played this course and hit my tee shot in a out of site red staked ditch.
1) go back on line of site wasnt an option
2) back to tee ( couldn't be arsed only a friendly )
3) 2 club lengths ... Because of the angle of the hazard it was boarder line whether it was nearer the hole ( with my its a friendly cant be arsed hat on it was ok )

To settle all arugments option 2 ,but who has the final say on option 3 ??

Do you mean out of sight red staked ditch.

In which case you may have not met the known or virtually certain requirement

But if it is not known or virtually certain that the ball came to rest in a penalty area and the ball is lost, the player must take stroke-and-distance relief under Rule 18.2.

With regards to 3 it is always encumbent on the player to apply the rules. However in a competition your marker can refuse to sign your card if he feels the rules have not been applied correctly and the matter has to be brought to the attention of the committee who should make a ruling.

nyckuk

Visit site

But if it is not known or virtually certain that the ball came to rest in a penalty area and the ball is lost, the player must take stroke-and-distance relief under Rule 18.2.

With regards to 3 it is always encumbent on the player to apply the rules. However in a competition your marker can refuse to sign your card if he feels the rules have not been applied correctly and the matter has to be brought to the attention of the committee who should make a ruling.
Yes sight :)

I found it in the ditch but obviously cant be sure where it entered the Hazard , it was very muddy so had pretty good idea by the markings

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

There is a risk in correcting someone else's spelling. Do you mean incumbent on the player? :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a risk in correcting someone else's spelling. Do you mean incumbent on the player? :unsure:

It is even worse than that incumbent is probably the wrong word anyway.

However I was really confirming that he did not mean out of site as in not on the course.