Losing Height downswing, hitting toe and fat shots

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've no 'drills' for you - far be it for me to do so.
But I do notice that your weight seems to have moved onto your left heel (and the ball of you left foot is raised), which doesn't seem right (to me). Hips don't seem to rotate much on the backswing either, though shoulder rotation seems ok. A side-on view might be helpful also.

Edit: Just seem this vid on a GWRX email. Swing thought is 'Right Pocket Back'!
https://www.golfwrx.com/666003/want...is-video-with-butch-harmon-and-danielle-kang/

Last edited:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always believed that losing height in the down swing was the right thing to do because unless you do you cannot use the vertical forces in your swing. Maybe getting your weight forward sooner would help. By the way I am no expert and I could be talking rubbish.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert but the clue is in the video is it not?
Your right knee buckles a bit on the downswing so you lose all your height. Check out your head height during the backswing then at impact, you lose about one brick of height in relation to the wall in front of you.
Trying to think about staying taller through the swing would be a good starting point.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks very close to being a solid move to my eyes. Losing the height in your downswing is something the best players in the world do so I wouldn't change this element of your swing, you shallow the club really well because of this move from backswing to downswing.

The problem I see is the lack of extension in your left leg at impact, it's still very much in a squatted position (bent). It does straighten up but a too late in the downswing (into your follow through). If it was myself I would be using the feeling of my left hip being higher earlier on in the downswing which will straighten your leg, so a feeling of left pocket back & up. If you take a look at the best players in the world they are much more "posted up" on their left leg at impact. Colin Morikawa is arguable the best iron player in the world right now and his left leg is very straight at impact (see picture below). This gives him more room and looks far less crowded at impact in comparison to your impact position.
1639396491951.png

I'm in no means a qualified PGA professional though, I'm just giving my opinion.