Looking for iron advice.

JGolfer

Visit site
So my dad turns 60 this year, and bless him, he just doesn't have the swing speed he used to. I was thinking of buying him a new set of irons, but I am looking for some graphite irons. I am looking for some advice for an iron set that would suite him, slow swing speed so I am wanting to get him graphite, and while strong lofts would help distance wise, he really struggles to get the ball in the air.

I would rather take him for a customer fit, however my dad would object and refuse to let me spend a penny on him, just the kind of guy he is, so looking to get a set as a surprise. Any suggestions? Budget wise is probably £700

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You don't need to spend £700. See my review of the Wilson D7 irons https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/wilson-d7-irons-for-old-gadgies.100473/

I've used them for a few rounds now & they are superb. I'm getting a good 20 yards more out of each iron & they are so easy to hit. The 4 iron is actually the same length & loft as a conventional 3 iron but I can hit it much better than my old 4 iron. You'll pay around £450 or less for 5 to PW with graphite shafts. I got mine here for £50 less than American Golf were charging. http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Bargain-Golf-Equipment-UK

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Benross make their gold range that is specifically designed for senior swing speeds. New irons coming out soon that'll be around £400.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
While I completely understand what you're doing you'll be taking a bit of a risk unless you know his specifications.
Wrong length, lie, flex can make the set worse than useless.
Not saying they will, but they can.
Why not go to the fitter and see if they do a voucher that you can buy for, say, £500.
Present Dad with that and then he can't back out as you've still spent the cash but he can get what he needs....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While I completely understand what you're doing you'll be taking a bit of a risk unless you know his specifications.
Wrong length, lie, flex can make the set worse than useless.
Not saying they will, but they can.
Why not go to the fitter and see if they do a voucher that you can buy for, say, £500.
Present Dad with that and then he can't back out as you've still spent the cash but he can get what he needs....
Agree with what has been said. Also, many fitters are catering for the older golfer in terms of differing shafts in terms of weight and flex and so getting him an ideal, purpose built set would really set him up going forward. The voucher seems a good compromise. The OP doesn't say where he is based so hard to recommend a fitter

JGolfer

Visit site
Agree with what has been said. Also, many fitters are catering for the older golfer in terms of differing shafts in terms of weight and flex and so getting him an ideal, purpose built set would really set him up going forward. The voucher seems a good compromise. The OP doesn't say where he is based so hard to recommend a fitter

Based in Liverpool. Didn't really think of the voucher idea!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whether he goes graphite or not is not just about his swing speed it is also about how it is applied.

Modern lightweight steel shafts are not that much different to graphite in terms of distance.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just outside Liverpool up the East Lancs.
Peter Allen at Ashton in makerfield golf club is a good fitter for the older golfer?
Check out the website for info.
Tour x is excellent but a bit pricey for a seniors clubs. Depended how serious a player he is.
Although you don’t have to purchase them there.
The shaft is the most important thing just like a high speed player a lower speed player its just as important to get the correct one.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So my dad turns 60 this year, and bless him, he just doesn't have the swing speed he used to. I was thinking of buying him a new set of irons, but I am looking for some graphite irons. I am looking for some advice for an iron set that would suite him, slow swing speed so I am wanting to get him graphite, and while strong lofts would help distance wise, he really struggles to get the ball in the air.

I would rather take him for a customer fit, however my dad would object and refuse to let me spend a penny on him, just the kind of guy he is, so looking to get a set as a surprise. Any suggestions? Budget wise is probably £700
Great thought; but tough implementation.

I'm a couple of years ahead of him (as of yesterday) and have been looking swing speed (slowly but surely) for a few years.

I've a few sets of irons, with different charecteristics in terms of heads and shafts (left handed so I hung onto them rather than giving away) but the one thing I've noticed is that nominal flex and material aren't simple factors for the ageing golfer (as you allude with you reference to loft for distance v loft for trajectory - and that's before spin (both constructive and destructive) comes into the equation.

You don't mention his level, but there's certainly a strong case for establishing if a new set of irons is the right step at this time. Are gains there to be had?

Appreciate it's all difficult but, on the basis that you are a keen golfer, how would you feel if he arbitrarily bought you a new driver? Wouldn't really matter how much research he did.

Anyhow, good luck and I hope it all works out.

JGolfer

Visit site
Great thought; but tough implementation.

I'm a couple of years ahead of him (as of yesterday) and have been looking swing speed (slowly but surely) for a few years.

I've a few sets of irons, with different charecteristics in terms of heads and shafts (left handed so I hung onto them rather than giving away) but the one thing I've noticed is that nominal flex and material aren't simple factors for the ageing golfer (as you allude with you reference to loft for distance v loft for trajectory - and that's before spin (both constructive and destructive) comes into the equation.

You don't mention his level, but there's certainly a strong case for establishing if a new set of irons is the right step at this time. Are gains there to be had?

Appreciate it's all difficult but, on the basis that you are a keen golfer, how would you feel if he arbitrarily bought you a new driver? Wouldn't really matter how much research he did.

Anyhow, good luck and I hope it all works out.

.I definitely think their are gains to be had.

One of the issues is the difference in ourselves. He always has my old clubs because he isn't really one to treat himself. I use a stiff shaft, and my clubs are always customer fit for myself. But I'm shorter than him and my club head speed is quite a bit faster.

Whenever we go to the range for example we will pick targets and if I got a PW to it around 115 yards. He feels he needs to. And then eventually he realises he needs a 7 iron.

When we place courses because of his low ball flight, longer irons. Nothing sticks around the green.

I'm trying to help him improve his swing (I'm attempting to improve mine also far from perfect) and we are already seeing gains. I just want him to have a set of clubs that really are his own, and that are going to help him.

But there has been some really good advice here, and I think a voucher idea is fantastic.

He is loving the hybrid I gave him though. So I think a 5 4 3 hybrid would be perfect for him rather than long irons. Watching him trying to hit my 2 iron breaks my heart.