Looking for help from Northern Ireland men....

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
12 of us are now heading over to Northern Ireland a day earlier than planned due to ferry timetables changing slightly and land by ferry in Larne aound 1.30pm on Saturday 20th April.

We are playing Royal County Down the next day in the afternoon so I am looking for some recommendations of somewhere to play on the Saturday mid to late afternoon somewhere between Larne and Newcastle.

Don't really want to pay much more than £50 a skull but if it is good enough maybe we would.

I also realise that Saturday may be an issue getting a dozen men on to busy member clubs.

Our other option is to play somewhere on the west coast of Scotland before catching the tea time ferry from Troon but getting a decent course at 10am-12 midday in this area is as rare as hens teeth!!

Any help with recommendations would be appreciated!:fore:

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ardglass is a cracking little course, often described as a hidden gem. Don't know what the fees are but don't think it is too expensive from memory. I would play it again in a heartbeat.

*Yikes, just googled the green fees, £75 at weekends! I'm sure it was about £30 when I played it a few years ago, guess it's not such a 'hidden' gem anymore. Maybe try Kirkistown instead?

Last edited:

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ardglass is a cracking little course, often described as a hidden gem. Don't know what the fees are but don't think it is too expensive from memory. I would play it again in a heartbeat.

*Yikes, just googled the green fees, £75 at weekends! I'm sure it was about £30 when I played it a few years ago, guess it's not such a 'hidden' gem anymore. Maybe try Kirkistown instead?

Yes the Ardglass green fee is a no no.

The thing going against Kirkistown is it's a bugger to get to from Larne is it not and we cannot tee off after 3.30 realistically for light....that and despite 3 emails I am still awaiting a reply from them.:p

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Dundonald will probably take you. Just an option.

Cost is the driver Craw but it is an option though what is it around £60 I would imagine? Kirkistown was spot on at £20 for us Braid members but the fact they cannot be arsed to reply to emails sway me to go elsewhere...that and it looks a bollock to get to and from.

Ricky w

Club Champion
Visit site
You could also try Rockmount golf club in Carryduff it's a lovely course and on the way to Newcastle also, although Saturdays might be hard enough to get playing! But I'd def give them a call and tell them your plans and they might try to accommodate use

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You could also try Rockmount golf club in Carryduff it's a lovely course and on the way to Newcastle also, although Saturdays might be hard enough to get playing! But I'd def give them a call and tell them your plans and they might try to accommodate use

Thanks Ricky,that has potential,looks nice!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of clubs have members comps on a sat dodger, I know galgorm does and believe its the case for lots of courses in ni. I would have happily headed out with yous but don't think I could get yous the tee times. Good luck.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
My uncle plays at temple but I wouldnt recommend it. Clandeboye in bangor has two courses. The dufferin course is a decent enough test where the ava is shorter and maybe not just as tough.

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
temples not a bad wee 9 hole, always in good nick after a bad rain since the new owners took over

Ardglass i would try and look past the price, is a crackin course i am a member there, Spa is a dump i was a Member there it is a swamp with 8 holes open most of the time plus they dont take visitors on a sunday, well its dead now a days they might, mount ober is another good course in the four winds area on the way to newcastle

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spa is a dump i was a Member there it is a swamp with 8 holes open most of the time plus they dont take visitors on a sunday, well its dead now a days they might, mount ober is another good course in the four winds area on the way to newcastle

That's a shame, played it a couple of times, found it in great nick and enjoyed it although it was a bit damp (and it wasn't this century I played it).

Did Mount Ober used to be known as Knockbracken?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's a shame, played it a couple of times, found it in great nick and enjoyed it although it was a bit damp (and it wasn't this century I played it).

It was yea (I used to live near the 4 winds too and dandered up most weekends to lash the driver or have a few frames of snooker).
Spa has a few lower holes which do get soaking wet, Mount Ober would be the same).
Come to think of it, Scrabo wouldnt be a bad course to get round as it is quite scenic in places, usually dry but usually fairly windy too and doesnt cost an arm or a leg.

Thor

Club Champion
Visit site
As has been said Cairndhu is a good course and is only 10/15 mins drive from the ferry terminal....although in the wrong direction for Newcastle.

I would say Rockmount is your best bet...decent course, on the road to Newcastle (drive through Belfast done and dusted), good grub and reasonable green fees.

Your main problem is getting tee times because, as others have mentioned, Saturday is the main comp day in N.Ireland and slots will be at a premium. Worth giving them a bell though.

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It was yea (I used to live near the 4 winds too and dandered up most weekends to lash the driver or have a few frames of snooker).
Spa has a few lower holes which do get soaking wet, Mount Ober would be the same).
Come to think of it, Scrabo wouldnt be a bad course to get round as it is quite scenic in places, usually dry but usually fairly windy too and doesnt cost an arm or a leg.

I still use the pool tables at the driving range end. Mount ober always is a fun trip down memory lane for me it was the 1st golf course I ever played and got my first lessons there when I was 7, I could never have the reach as a 10 year old to par any hole so I sent back a few months ago to do what I wanted to do 20 years ago. The par 3's are my favourite of any course I've ever played

Last edited:

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Problem with spa is they have very little if any money, I asked the fella who is the adjudicator as he refers himself as and I quote " we are are a very small club so we can't afford proper drainage or to hollow tine the greens till mid April"

For 2 months of the year it's an epic course the other 10 it's deserted and only a few holes in play

Waste of a perfectly good course

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Problem with spa is they have very little if any money, I asked the fella who is the adjudicator as he refers himself as and I quote " we are are a very small club so we can't afford proper drainage or to hollow tine the greens till mid April"

For 2 months of the year it's an epic course the other 10 it's deserted and only a few holes in play

Waste of a perfectly good course

One of the reasons I played it and revisited was the fact that the green fee was so low and mid week the course was deserted, it's a shame that it's not realising its potential