Long, Low, Running Shot - Best way to play it

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
While were discussing lies above and below the feet, I thought I'd throw this into the mixer.

We've all seen this shot on the T.V when watching the golf. Player needs to hit the ball around 150 yards to the green (... Maybe a little more) but can't throw the ball in the air because of trees. Instead they hit a low raking shot that probably fly's 3/4 of the way about 10ft off the ground before running out onto the green.

When ever I play this shot, I can keep the ball low, but cannot the required distance. If I play it firmer, the ball, invariably, goes too high catching the obstacle I' trying to miss. Obviously playing the shot firmer adds the spin causing the ball to climb higher than desired.

Depending on how low the obstacle, my lie and how far I want to hit it, I'll use a 6 iron, move I back slightly and make a smooth swing with an abbreviated follow through.

Any tips on this type of shot? :)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something I have actually practiced a lot thanks to off-the-tee problems.

A local pro put me on to a simple tip by Monty- hit it softer.

So, from 150, it's a soft six or even a very soft 4, using the same swing as normal but just at half the speed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To judge the distance, I use the 2 club rule
If the shot is usually an 8 iron, I use a 6.
Ball 1-2in back in the stance
Hands forward
Half swing smooth

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To judge the distance, I use the 2 club rule
If the shot is usually an 8 iron, I use a 6.
Ball 1-2in back in the stance
Hands forward
Half swing smooth

What the expert says above.

Also, an extra club or two hit softly won't have as much spin, which in turn means they won't climb as much.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in the day - way, way back - they called this the 'push' shot - and reckoned it wasn't a shot for the beginner. It was played using a fairly lofted cleek or maybe a mid-iron. Idea being to compress the ball against the turf and have it shoot off like a bullet before it pulled up very quickly with little roll-out. I generally use my 3i for this - it's a great and fun shot to play - though as I mostly use it from short rough to play under low hanging branches of tress I don't get the quick pull-up.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried this yesterday but I used my 18* hybrid, ball back in the stance weight forward, slow swing and low follow through, lovely result from under the branches and in the wind, over cooked a bit because the ball comes of the face of the hybrid much quicker than an iron, but will definitely use this shot more

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gripping down keeps it lower as well,as it shortens the club you might need next club longer, which in turn keeps it lower