long iron heel striking ground/ball

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
when using my long irons 4,5,6 i am near constantly striking the floor or ball with the heel of the club,

how do i fix thi, my short irons i can use clean strike and control just the long irons messing me up

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Richie,

I would get on a lie boared. If you are hitting the toe or heel first, the board will tell you.

Maybe get a spare/old club first as this can be altererd by a decent pro to fit you required lie. The reason I say spare/old is that clubs can break when this is done.

Once you have the right lie for you, you can get a set that fits this, or possibly amend you current set (although they could break).

Required lie angles could change between short medium and long irons for the same player. My irons are slightly upright but my wedges standard for example.

Hope that this helps.

Matt

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
In addition, the hands position can move away from the body (significantly in some incorrect cases) as the club becomes longer. Just check that you hands position isn't wildly different in the longer clubs to the shorter ones.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Richie.

I put some impact tape on my brand new 5 wood when I was hitting it out the heel, just to check, which told me I was....um....hitting it out the heel. :D :D

I've cured myself recently though, I think it was a combination of bad posture and swaying again... :eek:

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i cant cant them adjusted with the chance of them breaking is not a risk i can take with them being bought just a few days ago i cant afford to shell out for more clubs should they break

i have been playing around with my hand placement say hands a cpl of inches before the ball but that just opens up the face and i slice, found small sucess in having my hands inline or just behind the ball and locking my arms out on the downswing to get a nice clean contact but this will take some work and lots of practice as it doesnt feel totally natural